Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Personal Firewall Software  (Read 20369 times)

Adept

Personal Firewall Software
« on: November 17, 2002, 17:01 »
Go here for a list of the currently available Personal Firewall software.

If you know of any other software which is not not listed here, please add to this thread with any details you have and we will update the web page. Similarly, you can let us know of a version update by adding a comment.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Personal Firewall Software
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 17:38 »
There is also Sygate Personal Firewall, which is available in a free version, of a paid for Pro version.

Added - thanks Simon
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 18:45 »
Here's another Firewall product that's rapidly gaining fans.

Kerio

Added - thanks Rodders

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 16:40 »
This could be one for Hitch.  If you go here, you can compare Sygate 'Free' and 'Pro'.  I have the 'Pro' version *cough*, but is the free one just as good?  The Pro version does seem to have lots of extra features, but I'm not really sure if it's all neccessary for a home user.  Any opinions anyone?

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hitch

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 17:37 »
OK i use the free one coz i forgot to install the *cough* Pro version and have found no use for it.

IDS - I use norton 2003 which script blocks for me and detects the same trojans, I suspect most people have both items therefore thisis IMO un-needed.

IPS - Same as above

ICS support - This is a little daft, my firewall is on the gateway machine therefore protectin me from ALL network traffic. I use ICS without Pros help so again pointless.

VPN - This aint that far off ICS with a proxy and again i cant imagine the free version doing anything less than the Pro. The VPN will go through the Free version and protect just aswell IMO.

Stealth Browsing - Norton 2003 does this, IE does it on its own. Ive never found this a problem though in several years of netting so again i think pointless.

ATP - Norton again so who needs it.

From the list above id say its like most thing viral and just an attempt to scare you into parting with your money.
There seems no reason to *purchase* this product.

Adept

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 18:26 »

ICS support - This is a little daft, my firewall is on the gateway machine therefore protectin me from ALL network traffic. I use ICS without Pros help so again pointless.

That's interesting Hitch. When I tried Sygate a couple on months ago, one of the reasons why I rejected it and went back to ZoneAlarm was because Sygate wouldn't let my other PC connect to the Internet via ICS.

How did you get it working?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 18:40 »
Just to clarify Hitch, "Norton 2003" refers to Norton Anti Virus, yes?

I would assume that having *ahem* 'purchased' the Pro version (laa laa la la la la Sean!), it's not going to conflict with NAV, so there wouldn't really be much point in changing back to the Free version?

Offline Hitch

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 15:30 »

That's interesting Hitch. When I tried Sygate a couple on months ago, one of the reasons why I rejected it and went back to ZoneAlarm was because Sygate wouldn't let my other PC connect to the Internet via ICS.

How did you get it working?

All i did was tell my client to use the gateway IP and use DHCP, this goes through the wall once you tell sygate to allow certain things through the network.. cant remeber what off the top of my head but its standard files it will ask if can access it.
But ya know what PC's are like!

Offline Hitch

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 15:33 »

Just to clarify Hitch, "Norton 2003" refers to Norton Anti Virus, yes?

I would assume that having *ahem* 'purchased' the Pro version (laa laa la la la la Sean!), it's not going to conflict with NAV, so there wouldn't really be much point in changing back to the Free version?  

Yes Simon, 2003 AV only, i dont like the rest of norton i find it intrusive and useless. And yes if you use the Pro it should cause NO conflicts anyway.
Im a bit of a power user and hate to see things redundant yet taking up resources... windows does enough of that on its own :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 18:03 »
Well, resources aren't a problem for me at the moment, but, like you, I like things to be as efficient as possible, and hate anything being stuck on my PC that is of no use.

Silly as it sounds, it's now bugging me that I've got two things doing the same job  ::) so I may try out the Free version, and if it's still as water tight as Pro, might ditch Pro and switch over.  Stupid isn't it - these little things that are sooo niggling, like that Links folder!   ::) ;) ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 11:22 »
For any new members who have not yet installed a 'Firewall' on their PC, try these security tests. Sheilds Up or this one that you download, and an icon sits on your desktop Leak Test Then download a free firewall and do the tests again.

I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and it pass's both tests with flying colours

Go on have your 'Ports probed' you know it makes sense, you wont require a tissue I promise  :o

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 19:16 »
If you are on a router with its own inbuilt NATS then you will need to use their FREE IP AGENT to check the router properly as the normal tests will show it leaking like a sieve  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 19:29 »
I no longer have Zone Alarm installed but a quick Shields Up test shows that I don't have any leaks.  I found that having both a router firewall and ZA caused many websites such as Yahoo to be inaccessible unless I disabled ZA.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 01:21 »
That Steve Gibson guy is a genius!

As many of you will have gathered, I detest Firewalls.   I've tried all the freebies and several paid for (cough) Firewalls.  Every time I do a clean install I try another.  I am so desperate not to use one, I often disable my firewall and go to Gibson's site to take the tests, hoping for a miracle, but the results read as grief stricken.

I was looking at the site again tonight and was surprised to find that Stevie boy, although a self-confessed fan of Firewalls, actually belongs to the line of thought that they are not essentially necessary for a standalone PC  with no file or printer sharing.

If you have no immediate need to share your files with any other computer ? local or remote ? the safest, cleanest, and simplest solution is the "unbinding" of Windows insecure networking client from your network. And you should ABSOLUTELY do this even if you plan to get a firewall . . . mine or someone else's.

He then "advertises" his own free Firewall that will so be available but goes on to say:

It should be noted, however, that using a prophylactic program (like a firewall) to suppress the operation of another (like Microsoft's Networking) is not nearly as safe and sane as removing the program whose operation and behavior you wish to suppress.

Having read all that, I then spent a hour reading, digesting and then unbinding the network  client.  With my Firewall off, I then took the tests.  Here are the results for the Test My Shields tests:

Preliminary Internet connection refused!

This is extremely favorable for your system's overall Windows File and Printer Sharing security. Most Windows systems, with the Network Neighborhood installed, hold the NetBIOS port 139 wide open to solicit connections from all passing traffic. Either this system has closed this usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port 139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

I might try Gibson's own Firewall when it's released.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 01:26 »
Nice results Dave  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum