Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Apple's iPod: is the end nigh?  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Apple's iPod: is the end nigh?
« on: January 29, 2014, 21:01 »
Few pieces of technology can genuinely claim to be iconic. But Apple's iPod, first launched in 2001, arguably fits the bill.

With its distinctive click-wheel design, and those ubiquitous white bud headphones, the iPod brought good looks to portable audio technology - with a "cool" factor not seen since Sony's Walkman over a decade earlier.

And for the record industry, a sigh of relief - the iPod's accompanying music store iTunes paved the way for legal digital music downloading to hit the mainstream, tempting at least some music fans away from the free-for-all of piracy.

But 12 years, and 26 devices later, the generation-defining iPod range looks like it's about to fade into history without so much as a whimper.

"I think all of us have known for some time that iPod is a declining business," said Apple boss Tim Cook earlier this week, speaking during a conference call discussing the company's latest earnings report.

He announced massive profits - as ever - but noted that iPod sales had dipped: 52% down on this time last year, with further drops expected.

That's not bad, or even surprising, news for the company. The people who would have previously bought iPods are now more likely to buy iPhones or iPads.

But it's bad news for the humble iPod - a tiny-but-mighty device that many say was the catalyst that propelled Apple into its boom era of iPhones and iPads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25927366

I just wish they'd make an iPhone with the same capacity as the classic iPods (160Gb) for a reasonable price.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Apple's iPod: is the end nigh?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 21:27 »
Oh I love my iPod.  All my life is on it!  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 21:39 »
 ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 21:40 »
Every tune is meaningful.   :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 23:35 »
And free!  :laugh:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 14:26 »
Er yes.  At least it was!

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 20:20 »
 :o:

I'm not too worried about that, as I have one, and as long as it can still be synced with iTunes, it will still remain useful.  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 23:19 »
My iPod is very temperamental and has a mind of its own.  Hopefully there might be bargains to be had if they are axing it. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 23:51 »
I'll probably have to start using mine more, as if I get a new iPhone, the new connector won't work with my speaker docks, and I don't like the look of those little adapters.   

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 16:48 »
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 18:16 »
Yes, that's the type of thing I'll be looking at next.  I already have a Bluetooth speaker system in the bedroom, and I was surprised how good the sound quality is over Bluetooth. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 03:41 »
My iPod classic is still going despite daily use for more than 10 years.  I love it!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 11:55 »
Good to hear from you, Gill!   :)

Yes, my iPod Classic is still up and running, but I don't use it on a daily basis, having moved over to Android a couple of years ago.  I still have a speaker dock which it fits, so it does come in useful occasionally.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum