Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BT Smarthub  (Read 13169 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
BT Smarthub
« on: July 15, 2016, 22:03 »
Hi, I have just ordered the new BT Smarthub for the giveaway price of £50 plus postage and it will arrive on Tuesday. Looking forward to it as the write ups that I have seen say its the best router ever with seven aerials and a much greater range for WiFi. 

I will report back after Tuesday.  :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: BT Smarthub
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 22:27 »
Hope you are back online in time for the Christmas Quiz Den!   :devil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 22:31 »
How did you get it for £50?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 00:36 »
Hope you are back online in time for the Christmas Quiz Den!   :devil:

You love BT as much as me Clive  :D

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:11 »
Hi, I have just ordered the new BT Smarthub for the giveaway price of £50 plus postage and it will arrive on Tuesday. Looking forward to it as the write ups that I have seen say its the best router ever with seven aerials and a much greater range for WiFi. 

I will report back after Tuesday.  :D

yeah let us know how it goes Den. I was thinking about it too but when they said I had to pay well  ;) ;)    I pre registered my interest in it and thought I could get one but the deal was that you had to renew your contract at the new rates and for an 18 month contract, I had just got myself a new deal 2 weeks before this info came out and was told it was only if you pay the increased prices. My new deal was for 24 months...my argument for getting one... but because i'd haggled a new £10 a month less price due to saying I was thinking of leaving they said i would need to pay for the hub.  They did try the  " well the hub is retail in the likes of Currys etc for £150 sir... "   I think thats the price they said.   

I await your report Den  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:45 »
You love BT as much as me Clive  :D

I loathe them with a vengeance Dave.   ;D

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49 »
I'm very happy with them, very reliable, very fast and I get BT Sport.  ;D

If anyone requires a BT Hub 5 cheap I have two as when I thought I was had a faulty one BT sent me a replacement but the fault was not there's so I did not need it.  ;)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:39 »
I'm very happy with them, very reliable, very fast and I get BT Sport.  ;D

If anyone requires a BT Hub 5 cheap I have two as when I thought I was had a faulty one BT sent me a replacement but the fault was not there's so I did not need it.  ;)

I second that    very pleased with them...its not right what people say. I too had a " Faulty "  hub and they sent a new one out the next day but I had to return the original  :( :(

Ive also just switched to a mobile deal with them and had a query about it on day two of my service and I have to say they have been excellent, have called me every third day to let me know how it was going and that theyd escalated it to technical dept. turns out it could just be bad signal in my area as they use EE masts or the new SIM I got trying to pick up 4G for my puny 3G phone. As soon as I switched setting to auto search for 3G it improved vastly.

So yeah    :thumb: :thumb:  to BT

OH yes of course BT Sport too Den  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 00:03 »
Personally I've found the tactics BT use once you're a customer to be borderline criminal, they make it very awkward if you tell them you're leaving and are constantly "upgrading" your account at extra cost or cold calling with promises that subsequently prove to be  false.. I've got a friend who used to work for them and he's told me a few things about their business practices that make me steer well clear. However if you're with them and happy with their service then good luck to you, but not for me any more. (i've had both mobile phone and internet with them in the past and lived to regret getting both services).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 00:31 »
I have to admit, I never even realised BT did a mobile service.  I know they used to be BT Cellnet, which then changed to O2, but I didn't know they did one of their own again.  I've been with O2 since it was BT Cellnet, and I have a very good deal with them, but BT Mobile could almost match it.  My only issue with O2 is my signal quality at home, which is quite poor, but I don't know if any others would be any better, and I wouldn't want to get locked into a long contract, only to find I'm no better, or even worse off, signal wise.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 01:13 »
I have to admit, I never even realised BT did a mobile service.  I know they used to be BT Cellnet, which then changed to O2, but I didn't know they did one of their own again.  I've been with O2 since it was BT Cellnet, and I have a very good deal with them, but BT Mobile could almost match it.  My only issue with O2 is my signal quality at home, which is quite poor, but I don't know if any others would be any better, and I wouldn't want to get locked into a long contract, only to find I'm no better, or even worse off, signal wise.   :-\

I'm talking Cellnet Simon as you say BT don't run a mobile service now although I hear they're thinking of dipping their toes again  :woot:.  O2 used to be good (after splitting off from BT) but now Telefonica own them things seem to be going a bit downhill. I agree with the signal comment about O2, i use tesco mobile (O2) and mrs daveeb has Virgin mobile (EE ??) and my daughtrer also has EE and they tend to get reception where I can't in the more remote areas (west Yorkshire). In the better reception areas however i fare better than them and usually get full speed whereas they struggle with 3/4 G.

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 10:03 »
I have always used Vodafone and find it great in the Wrexham/Chester area. BT now share masts with EE so I assume they are on the same system as them?

I have always been with BT for my phone line but moved around a bit with my Broadband (including iDnet) but it worked a lot cheaper to have everything with BT, drop down from a business line to a private line and get BT Infinity and I have not looked back since.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5483008879

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 17:59 »
Well the BT SmartHub arrived in the post this morning. Took it out of the box and plugged it in and it set itself up within minutes. Runs very well indeed and has increased the WiFi signal in the house.

I'm going to go and sit in the garden now with a beer (or 2) and see how the signal is out there. I will report back if I don't get too drunk.   ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 19:00 »
Personally I've found the tactics BT use once you're a customer to be borderline criminal, they make it very awkward if you tell them you're leaving and are constantly "upgrading" your account at extra cost or cold calling with promises that subsequently prove to be  false.. I've got a friend who used to work for them and he's told me a few things about their business practices that make me steer well clear. However if you're with them and happy with their service then good luck to you, but not for me any more. (i've had both mobile phone and internet with them in the past and lived to regret getting both services).

I wholeheartedly agree with with you Dave.  My BB speed dropped to 104kb/s which BT said was well within their limits and perfectly acceptable.   ::)  How can you deal with a company like that?   :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 21:19 »
They were in the news today, and are basically being told by the government to buck their ideas up when it comes to broadband services and customer relations. 

BT must 'put its house in order' - MPs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832505

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum