Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Film Critic Barry Norman dies  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Film Critic Barry Norman dies
« on: July 01, 2017, 14:43 »
Film critic Barry Norman has died aged 83, his family says.

The journalist and former BBC presenter died in his sleep on Friday night.

A statement from his daughters, Samantha and Emma, called him "remarkable", adding: "He had a great life, a wonderful marriage and an enviable career."

Norman hosted BBC One's "Film…" show between 1972 and 1998 - its longest running host - as well as writing for the Daily Mail and the Guardian.

His literary agent, Curtis Brown, described him as "the defining voice of film criticism and insightful interviewing of screen legends from both sides of the camera".

Norman's daughters added: "He leaves behind a family who adore him and a great roster of friends who love him too. We will miss him more than we can say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40468411
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Film Critic Barry Norman dies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 19:20 »
I was very surprised that the BBC dropped him owing to him being "too old".  He seemed at the height of his popularity and was immediately snapped up by a rival channel leaving the BBC with Gavin Essler and some other guy who were far less knowledgeable and had no charisma.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 22:19 »
And was replaced by the BBC by the awful Claudia Winkleman!   :facepalm:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 14:04 »
She is one of my pet hates - a complete waste of space.  I watch Strictly where she is a presenter and I just don't see the point of her.  You have really touched on a raw nerve now Simon!   :facepalm:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 20:02 »
I don't know what possessed the BBC to think she could ever be a good replacement for Barry Norman.  I was a regular viewer of the Film... series, but never watched it again after she took it over. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum