Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: IPad Air 2  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
IPad Air 2
« on: July 12, 2017, 18:29 »
So I've bitten the bullet and bought an iPad Air 2.  I've been setting it up and they are demanding that I give them my credit card details.  Is this some sort of scam?   :dunno:  According to my newly acquired book "iPad for idiots" I can download Microsoft Word for free.  But I can't find it.  It does sound too good to be true!   ::)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: IPad Air 2
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 19:20 »
So I've bitten the bullet and bought an iPad Air 2.  I've been setting it up and they are demanding that I give them my credit card details.  Is this some sort of scam?   :dunno:  According to my newly acquired book "iPad for idiots" I can download Microsoft Word for free.  But I can't find it.  It does sound too good to be true!   ::)

Years ago I managed to set up my original i-tunes acccount (or is what you're doing an apple id  :dunno:) without asking for a credit card, I just stipulated NONE when asked for payment method. From what I remember i had to do it on a pc through i-tunes and it involved a fair amount of research beforehand. They certainly don't make it easy and another reason why i prefer android. Don't think what i did is possible from a tablet/phone.

It's certainly possible you could get word for free, i have it on my Samsung phone although it was already on when I got it, if it's the same thing as I have I wouldn't bother as it's extremely watered down and I found it virtually useless for all practical uses.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 20:26 »
The credit card details would be requested for your iTunes and App Store account.  It's pretty pointless having an iPad if you're never going to download an app or some music, and I guess it logically follows that you will need to pay for some items.  If you already have an Apple ID, then you probably already have a payment card associated with that account, so just login on the new iPad with your existing Apple ID. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 20:51 »
I may already have an Apple ID but have absolutely no recollection what it might be and have never ever used it.  The iPad isn't for myself, but for Mrs Clive to replace her aging and very rickety Dell which has claimed for over a year that its hard drive is about to bite the dust and its battery is no longer charging.  Replacement batteries are available but they have dreadful write ups with some reviewers stating they catch on fire or even blow up.  She loves that old machine but she has been after an iPad for ages and I was persuaded that the Air 2 is better than the newer iPad currently on offer.  We did flirt with a Mk1 iPad some years ago but never got the hang of it and didn't persevere as it was given to us by our son as he had upgraded to a Mk2.  Since buying a Kindle Fire a few years ago I'm much more confident with tablets but that never asked me for credit card information.

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 21:52 »
We have two Apple iPads, or is that a pair? Actually we have 3, one is iPad Mini so I suppose that is 2.5. I also have a iPhone 5s. Not bad for someone who likes windows 10 and hates Apple.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 21:58 »
I think the correct term is basket Den.   8-)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 21:59 »
Or perhaps box.   ;D  We have two iPads!!   :smart:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 21:27 »
My wife is now having problems with her iPad 2 so I am letting her have my iPad Air and replacing it with a iPad 2017 (the one that replaced the Air 2).

So a learning curve when it arrives hopefully tomorrow.  :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 21:40 »
I doubt it will be much different to your last one, and if you sync the old one with iTunes, then restore the new one from the backup in iTunes, your new one should be a virtual clone of the old one.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 21:47 »
Nine months on and Mrs Clive has bonded with her iPad, using it every day and even bringing it away with her.  She's using the Dell less and less and I foresee  a time in the very near future when she might abandon it completely.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 19:37 »
I use my iPad 3 daily but when its time comes I'll need a good reason not to go Android.  I have an Android tablet which is so much cheaper and meets all my requirements.  I just wish there was a Linux for tablets.

(Go on... point out an obvious Linux for tablets now :-D )
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 20:57 »
http://www.zdnet.com/article/here-comes-the-first-ubuntu-linux-tablet/   :o:

It seems you can also convert an Android tablet to Linux, but you may need to be a little adventurous:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Convert-an-Android-Device-to-Linux

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 22:33 »
I use a Kindle Fire HD which cost me £89 around four years ago and it's absolutely fantastic.  I wish I had spent a little more to get the version with higher RAM and an SD card.  But now they are even cheaper.  OK, not as many apps as an iPad but does that matter?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 10:14 »
I think I'll play safe for now, Simon.  Mind, I have an old Hudl that I could experiment with.

Clive, the ability to transfer data/videos/music from a PC to a tablet by SD card is enormously advantageous, especially if you're stuck somewhere boring without a wi-fi connection.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 10:32 »
With hindsight I realise that Gill.   :bawl:  When this Kindle bites the dust I'll get a top of the range version to replace it.  I've been so impressed with this one I would highly recommend it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum