Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 2004 Norton Antivirus Professional won't install  (Read 2300 times)

Offline fluffydoe

2004 Norton Antivirus Professional won't install
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:14 »
Hello everyone.  I'm new on here and hope someone can help me.  I've been trying to load Norton Anti virus on my PC, but it won't install.  I've already done the emergency pre install scan and no viruses were found.  The CD menu comes up but when I click on install it doesn't do anything.  It loads fine on my laptop.  I have windows ME.  But XP on my laptop.  Any ideas?  ???

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:2004 Norton Antivirus Professional won't install
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 13:04 »
Hi Fluffydoe and  :welcome:

Can you tell us which version of Norton's you are trying to load?  Is it 2004 or an earlier one?  Some people have had problems with the 2004 version.  Are you trying to re-install it after a previous installation?  Or on top of another installation?

It may also be that a trojan has got into your computer and is preventing it from installing.  Download and run Ad-Aware to make sure this isn't the case.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 14:46 »
Yes, you need to uninstall any previous versions of Norton, before installing a newer one.  Do you have another anti-virus program already installed (other than Norton)?  You would need to uninstall that too.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline fluffydoe

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 14:58 »

Hi Fluffydoe and  :welcome:

Can you tell us which version of Norton's you are trying to load?  Is it 2004 or an earlier one?  Some people have had problems with the 2004 version.  Are you trying to re-install it after a previous installation?  Or on top of another installation?

I'm trying to install 2004 Professional.  I had a much earlier version and it suddenly stopped working which is why I bought this newer version.  The old version had just found a keylogger trogen which it quarantined and I deleted.  That is when it stopped working.  I un-installed the old version before trying this one and also rebooted from the disk and did a pre install scan.  No viruses were found.

I will install and run ad-aware.  Thanks for the advice.  Will let you know how I get on.

Offline fluffydoe

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 14:59 »

Yes, you need to uninstall any previous versions of Norton, before installing a newer one.  Do you have another anti-virus program already installed (other than Norton)?  You would need to uninstall that too.

Thanks.  I've uninstalled my old version of Norton and also my firewall software.

Offline fluffydoe

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 16:54 »
Right, well I've cleared my PC of ad-ware, I've done a virus scan via the Symantic website and again found no trace of known viruses.  I have tried to load the software from 3 different CD drives and then also from a copy of the CD on my hard disk.  All to no avail.  It allows me to access all items on the menu except for 'install'.  When I click on 'install' it shows the hour glass briefly, then nothing.  I am out of ideas.   :-\

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 17:04 »
Symantic has an automated support assistant which can be downloaded from:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/asa_index.jsp

It may be worth downloading it and seeing if it may help.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 17:11 »
You may also find this article from the Symantic knowledgebase useful:

http://tinyurl.com/2b2s9

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 17:59 »
Have you ever had any other version of Norton installed?  Norton have a removal tool, which you can get here, which appears to apply to all previous versions.  Maybe you could try that?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline fluffydoe

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 21:18 »
Thanks for all your help.  You lot are great  :-* I have tried everything but no luck.  I have emailed Symantec with the problem.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum