Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: installing xp problem  (Read 1041 times)

Offline twiggy

installing xp problem
« on: February 07, 2004, 12:09 »
i have two hard drives in my system now. one has nothing on it and one has windows xp. i would liek to install windows x pon to my empty hard drive as well. i ahve the set-up disc but ever time i insall it, it appers not to give me the option of choseing a ahrd drive to install it to. can any one help?

thanks mark

Offline measter

• Established Member
Re:installing xp problem
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 12:13 »
try running the installer outside of windows.
img]http://members.lycos.co.uk/borged/sigs/ep/19.jpg[/img]
Current CPU Info

Offline twiggy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 12:39 »
i have but it aint pickinig the hard drive up. i need to fomat it but i starting fomating it  FAT32 because of its size 4GB and its took over 20mins and it ahsnt done anything le it is doing sumit coz the lights are flash and i can feel the disk spinning but on the screen nothing is moving on the status bar. how long should it take?

thanks mark

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 13:36 »
What happens by putting the disk in and reebooting and then let it do its thing ?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 13:39 »
well i have tried rebooting but when i install windwos xp im getting ti to reconsize the hard drive just not to re format it gos on the reformat hard drive page and dosnt move of 0% and liek isad before the same happens in windows. is there a programme that can refoat hard drives insteread of windows doing it?

thanks mark

Offline twiggy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 13:47 »
the current file system of it is RAW could this be the problem? thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 13:51 »
Hi Mark, firstly go into BIOS and check that your drives are set to auto detect and also check that you have the jumpers set correctly for master and slave.
Use a 98 boot disk and boot from A and at the A: prompt type FDISK.
This will allow you to check how youre original drive is set up and partitioned and also allow you to set an active partition on your second drive, although this isnt really necessary if you are going to instal XP on it as it should format as its installing.
After that reboot and select the drive letter of your second hard drive, double check to make sure that it is the correct one as you will erase any dat on it it, then type FORMAT X: where X is the letter of the drive that you want to format  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum