Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: sort dialup networking  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
sort dialup networking
« on: November 05, 2002, 16:04 »
my isp connection keeps cutting off. I don't think it is the isp at fault as nobody else seems to be suffering. Is there anything I should be checking? I recently downloaded explorer6. I have tried everything I can think of as to what could be causing the problem.
I uninstalled msn messenger as it was the worst offender and I constantly got cut off when using it but the problem still exists.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015,2016 and 2017
Re:sort dialup networking
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 17:00 »
Click on Tools at the top of your screen

Internet options

Connections

Settings

Advanced

Does the box say "stay connected for 20 mins"?

Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015, 2016 and yet again in 2017.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 17:03 »
Oh noooo!!  I've been trying to sort out a similar problem on a friends PC for ages now.

First, have you checked that Outlook Express is not set to disconnect after sending / receiving?  It's set by default to do so, so you have to turn it off (in OE) in Tools > Options > Connections.

Next go to IE Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings > Advanced, and make sure nothing is set to Auto Disconnect.

Try those first, Lona, and come back to us if it doesn't help, then we'll have a look at your Modem Speed and Port Settings.  If you know how to change these, set them both to 115200.  That might help.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 17:27 »
We were working on Lona's problem simulataneously Simon.  ;D
I had that Outook Express problem on my 1900XP and it drove my wife crazy until SHE sorted it out.  ;D Don't you just hate clever women?  ;D  Oh oh!  She's looking over my shoulder!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 17:31 »
Well, great minds think alike, Clive!!

Now, butt out, so I can raise my posting total!!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 17:34 »
We will both be up to 20 by Christmas at this rate Simon!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2002, 21:00 »
:)Thanks Simon and Clive. Unfortunately all the things you mentioned are A ok. At the moment things seem to be staying connected. It comes on fits and starts. Like last night things were fine but to-day I gave up as it was disconnections every five minutes. When I logged on tonite, same thing but in the last half hour it has been fine. I am also experiencing freezing and some websites won't load. Google which is the fastest to load just would not load to-day at all. I will keep you posted just to keep up your posts if nothing else. How come I only have 3? ??? ???

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 21:36 »
Might be worth getting BT to check out your phone line, Lona.  With the wet weather, sometimes water gets in and causes problems.   :(

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 21:58 »
You don't have call waiting enabled on your phone, do you? that can cause problems, but you must have lots of people phoning you every 5 mins ;)

Have you tried deleting the dial up and reinstalling it?
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 22:04 »
At the moment we are only counting techhie forums but I believe the Saint intends to change that to count most of the other forum posts as well soon.  He's working his fingers down to the bone.  :D  So much to do, so little time.  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 22:42 »
As Simon said it could be the line but I was thinking as youre in a rather windy exposed location could it be that you have an overhead line which may be a bit worn and is whipping about in the wind?
This can sometimes cause havoc at times and yet appear ok at other times  :-*

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 22:55 »
Yes it could be a 'noisy' line, BT will check it out for you. It could also be the opposite and you need the gain increasing
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 23:48 »
well folks, have had the gain turned up, don't have calls waiting, but you are right Bat69 I do have folks calling me a lot and I do have 1571 that cuts me off and I always know someone is wanting me. Sandra you seem to be the closest. I have a huge telegraph pole outside almost in my garden, but then it wasn't windy to-day ;D. We have had a lot of rain and funny enough their was a guy from BT working on that pole just before my problems began. I mentioned it to BT when I asked them to turn up the gain on my line, but you know BT, they just fob you off. Things have been not too bad tonite.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum