Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pop ups  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:pop ups
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 17:36 »
Hi Chew,

glad you found my little security web page handy, as for not getting an email with your serial number in...thats strange I got one straight away, anyway no bother you can use this one Edit by Clive: sorry Tony, but the terms and conditions of AVG state that only one user is allowed to use that registration number.  But it was a nice gesture all the same.

re Zone Alarm asking if you want to allow things access to the web, if you tick the "remember answer" box it will and not ask you again. But if latter you find out you need to let certain things access the net, you can go into "programs" and change your permissions. My policy is "if in doubt say no"

Tony

::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 18:33 »
Hi Chew,

To get into Safe Mode, as Clive said, you have to reboot your machine, and keep tapping away at the F8 key while it's starting up.  You should eventually get a page of options, one of which should be to start in Safe Mode.  We need to know which operating system you are using (XP, Win2K, ME, Win9x, etc), to establish whether you have System Restore, as that will need to be disabled as well.

Just another point, when you installed Ad Aware and Spybot, did you update them before you ran them?  That is probably the most important thing, as they will be next to useless without.

Come back to us if you need further help.   :)

Incidentally, if you are going to continue to use Mozilla as your default web browser (recommended), you can uninstall free surfer mk II pop up stopper, as Mozilla has it's own very capable pop up stopper built in.

Another layer of protection can be found in Spyware Blaster (also free), which blocks spyware before it gets into your computer.  Again, you have to keep it updated for maximum efficiency.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chew

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 19:48 »
I have XP.
How do I update adaware? I uninstalled it, downloaded it again and reinstalled it - will this do?
And.... ok, I restarted my pc, kept hitting F8, got a list of options none of which is safe mode. The options are as follows:
FLOPPY, IDE-0, IDE-1, and CDROM.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 19:55 »
That sounds like the boot options order in bios.
You need to select IDE 0 for the hard drive, maybe your pc will boot into safe mode from there but I havent come across one like that before ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 22:32 »
When you open Ad Aware, Spybot, and (if you've got it) Spyware Blaster, you should see a button to 'Check For Updates'.  That's what you need to do, so they download the latest definitions, i.e. details of bad stuff to look for.   It's called keeping ahead of the game!   ;)

Not sure why you can't seem to get into Safe Mode - maybe one of the techies know another way - but at least if you update Ad Aware and Spybot before you run them, even if not in Safe Mode, you should still get rid of the majority of the junk.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 22:37 »

Another layer of protection can be found in Spyware Blaster (also free), which blocks spyware before it gets into your computer.  Again, you have to keep it updated for maximum efficiency.

You obviously havent visited my security web page Simon, as a  Spyblaster link is on it ......were do you think Chew got the Mozilla link from  ::) another convert Bro  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2004, 22:46 »
I realised where Chew got the links from - :welldone: - but he didn't mention installing Spyware Blaster, so I did.   ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2004, 23:15 »
Try this method chew....

http://www.ispwifi.com/virus/safe-mode/xp/

Offline chew

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2004, 23:50 »
:banana: :banana: :banana:
I do believe I'm clean!!!
Thank you thank you thank you.

I still can't get into safe mode though, but I don't think I need to now.
My Device Manager does have a Yellow ? & ! beside the media audio controller. I tried to install it again but couldn't, told it not to remind me again and it doesn't appear at start-up anymore.
What does it do anyway - I'm listeneing to the white stripes right now on my pc so it obviously doesn't affect the sound.
Thanks again anyway!!!!!  ;D

Offline chew

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2004, 00:12 »
In all the excitement I didn't see that last post!
I got into safe mode but didn't think I should disable system restore and I don't think I needed to anyway.
chew :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum