Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: crashing!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2518 times)

Offline jon996

Re:crashing!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 22:28 »
its very tempting cos im really...p####ed off. and as its a nu hdd, ther isnt much on it so im not losin anyting ;D
+  i do have a laptop and a spare 40 gig hdd if it does shag up...... or i cud wait til 2mo and buy a floppy drive for a tenner and save all the hassle if it does #####up.... ;) ;)
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 22:36 »
I dont think it will be the bios thats at fault as it runs in safe mode without any problems you said Jon.
Which make and model number is your hard drive then we can verify that you have set the jumpers correctly.
Are there any yellow ! or ? in your device manager list as it sounds as if it may be a driver problem when its in windows fully  :(

Offline jon996

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 22:40 »
nope evrythin is savvy in the device manager...my hard drive is a Maxtor 6y080l0... there are like 3 or 4 settings for my master...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 22:51 »
Theres only one correct one Jon  ;)

Have a look at the attached pic, yours should be set as the top left one in it  :)

Offline jon996

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 12:10 »
all the jumpers were rite...i dno wot 2 do. shud i buy a nu floppy and update bios or not

by the way im at schoool  ;D

Offline jon996

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 12:14 »
as it was fine in safe mode it must be a programme thts shaggin it all up >:( shall i uninstall every programme...it must be a hardware thing cos it crashed even wen it was just a slave and only had a couple of games on it??!!?!? dya recon it cud be a faulty drive??

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 12:15 »
I would buy a floppy but not to update your bios, as its unlikely to be a bios fault, so that you could run the maxtor drive diagnostic utility so that you can check your hard drive  :)

Offline jon996

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 12:19 »
how would i do that??? the programme is called Active Smart and its pretty crap, would i just put it on a floppy and set it to boot frm floppy???????? could you find out *flutters eyelashes angelically* ::) ::)

god schools boring :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 12:29 »
Its the "Powermax.exe" that you need Jon.
There are instructions on how to make a bootable floppy with it and a link to where to download it from here :

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=590

Offline jon996

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 19:13 »
im at the end of my tether, im re installing  windows....u shalll ( hopefully) hear frm me soon 8)

thanks for all ur help ;D

Offline jon996

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 20:31 »
ok i have made a decition that im not going to re install again for one reason, i have 800+ mp3s and its a pain in the ass gettin all them off my other hdd again. i have always had memory problems so iv swopped a couple with my bros pc [shhh] i dno if it'll do anything but hey. im going to get a floppy 2mo and use that prog. so ill try n keep yall updated!!

>>Jon

Offline jon996

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2004, 10:56 »
i dont believe it. i did a windows repair las nite and put another stick of ram in. and it went thru the whole night without crashing!!?!?!?!?! wtf!!! :D the biggest test will be weather it crashes thru out the day??!

s**t teachers coming :( :( update later

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum