Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Confused!  (Read 816 times)

Offline Shaz

• Established Member
Confused!
« on: April 30, 2004, 21:57 »
Hi everyone, ive just spoken to my fella whos at work and he asked me if id checked for viruses latley as a friend at work has said he has received numerous e-mails from Tony but hasnt opened them as he thought it was strange as Tony has never emailed him before. The thing is neither of them have each others e-mail addresses in there address books and theyve never corosponded by e-mail. Any ideas as to whats going on , ive run antivirus nothing found and havent had any other problems at all. ???
een away but back with a vengence!!!!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Confused!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 22:11 »
I wouldn't worry too much about it Shaz.  The e-mail addresses are all spoofed so there is no way of telling who they really came from.  I know it's pretty annoying, but as long as his virus checker is up to date he should be just fine.

Offline Shaz

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 23:06 »
Thanks for that Clive. Ive just been into tonys e-mail and he had received 3 high priority attachments from various addresses all saying important document! Do you think they could be linked in some way as neither me or my daughter have received anything dodgy!OE picked them up. :)
een away but back with a vengence!!!!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 23:15 »
Beware of e-mails bearing attachments Shaz, so just delete them as it's very likely that they are viruses.  It seems to be a pattern with viruses that they often turn up in multiples so it's a bit of a giveaway really.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 12:30 »
I get these type of emails daily sent to my ebay email address. High priority and attachements.

They have headings like "read it now", "important" etc.

All from spoofed email addresses.  Very annoying but not much I can do about them.

DJ

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 21:47 »
To illustrate the way that spoofing works, I've just received an e-mail from Mailsweeper stating that I sent someone (who I have never heard of) a virus.  It has appeared to come from "secretary@***astro.org.uk" which is me.  However, whilst I actually receive all mail sent to that address, I always reply using my btinternet address, so I know I couldn't have possibly sent it in the first place.  This has happened several times before and people have sent me e-mails complaining about it, but there is really nothing I can do to prevent it happening.

It won't help advertising your e-mail address for spam scanners to collect, Clive.  I've masked it for your security.   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum