Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Please help  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Lucy2005

Please help
« on: May 09, 2004, 23:40 »
hi i have a problem with my wirless connection, its a belkin 54g.

im new to this so please ask any questions u need. but tell me how do get to the informatin, thanks.

what happens is it drops the connection every 10 mins or so, so i went into computer management - event viewer - system and got this:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1D1B720A-4126-4034-823F-6E29AAFC6E4B} because a master browser was stopped.

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.2.3 on the Network Card with network address 0030BDF7CCF0.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0030BDF7CCF0.  The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

how do i fix this ???

thanx Lucy

oh and im on NTL cable 512k if that helps?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Please help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 23:58 »
Hi Lucy and :welcome:

Have you got a network for a couple of pcs or are you just running wireless to your laptop or something  ???
If you have a hard wired pc then I take it that stays online its just the wirelss part to a second one that loses its connection.
Which OS are you using ?

Offline Lucy2005

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 00:04 »
hi sandra thanks for the quick reply, there are two pc's with wireless cards. the cable modem is hooked up to the router and is on 24/7. both pc's have xp but this is only happening to my pc :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 00:26 »

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1D1B720A-4126-4034-823F-6E29AAFC6E4B} because a master browser was stopped.

I am not up on wi fi stuff Lucy so bear with me please  :)
Does it drop the connection after you have closed your browser or does it do it while surfing or downloading ?

Offline Lucy2005

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 00:31 »
whilst surfing/downloading its annoying as i cant use mirc or msn messenger :-\

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 00:47 »
Ok so its not something telling it to disconnect after the browsers closed.
Can you have a look in your Network connections and go into the properties of your LAN that should be in there.
Then under General, highlight TCP/IP and then click Properties.
Make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.
Also in the same window click on Advanced and check that it has DHCP Enabled under IP Settings, IP Address  :)

Offline Lucy2005

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 01:01 »
yes its on Obtain an IP address automatically, and obtain a DNS address automatically.

yes the DHCP is enabled under the IP Settings.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 01:29 »
Can you compare the settings for the wi fi card in both pcs and make sure that theyre the same, apart from the lAN IP adress of course.
I cant see it being something in the router as one pc is ok so I am fairly certain its the settings of your pc that need changing.
Sorry I cant be more helpful, I am using a wireless router with ethernet for my network but I have no pcs with wi fi to try the wi fi part out on  :(

Offline Lucy2005

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:33 »
ok ill try tommorow

thanks for the help, no worries that u cant help more.

see you later

Lucy

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 01:58 »
What PCI card do you have? Also do you have a firewall running on the PC (that can cause all sorts of problems if you are also using the one built into the router)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 02:56 »
You could try disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration Lucy.
See this article, although it sounds like its more likely to disconnect under large file transfers :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821400&Product=winxp

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum