Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Getting Started With Hosting ...  (Read 23354 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Getting Started With Hosting ...
« on: May 20, 2004, 18:37 »
I am considering registering a domain name for e-mails, webspace etc, and wondered if anyone could recommend a good, reliable, cheap UK host?

TIA  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Domain Host?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 18:45 »
You can get a free domain name here Simon, I have been using one for my server for about 8 months with no problems.

http://www.dynu.com

It has paid for e mail storage/forwarding if desired, dont know how it compares cost wise or whether they offer webspace as well  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 18:51 »
I would prefer a UK based one, Sandra.  Dynu would cost $25 per year to host a domain, plus extra costs for the e-mail services.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 21:24 »
I pay £29.99 pa for the services of these fine people: Alivewww.  Support (via email) is friendly and very human.  I'm into my second year with them and have absolutely no qualms about recommending them to anyone who'll listen.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 22:29 »
Well, as I said, I am only considering this, and having looked at things again, it seems a little bit extravagant to pay out for a hosting service, which would basically be only used for e-mail.  I was looking at alternatives to my current e-mail @Talk21, as they have now decided that we've all had it too good for too long, and are introducing a monthly £1.50 charge for POP3 services.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 22:42 »
I use www.domainbuster.com which were included with my Fast24 isp account.

The prices are for 2 years and i have my sig on there as well as some other stuff  :whistle: and although i have left Fast24 about 6 months ago it's still working  ;D ;D ;D

I do keep meaning to contact them to make sure it don't stop  :o ;) ;D

Offline PhilTheFish

redirecting traffic to old site using new domain name
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 14:36 »
Hi all,

I currently have my own site on Wanadoo free web space and I am thinking about registering my own domain name. I want to keep the website where it is for now, but want to be able to access it by just typing my new web address into the address bar.

Is this simple to do? Instructions on how to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 14:59 »
I am not sure how to redirect to your existing page but I should think its probably quite easy for someone who knows how to do it.

One way you could do it very easily is by using a program that I have used called TrendyFlash Intro builder available from here :

http://www.trendyflash.com/tdc/tdcibhelp.htm

Unfortunately its not free but you can get a trial version for free to see how it works, I am not sure what the limitations of the trial are.

This is an example of one I made for a friends company.

http://www.cut-it-out.co.uk/

His website is actually www.swift-signs.co.uk but hed registered and got some webspace in the domain of www.cut-it-out.co.uk

As you can see it opens from his domain name address and then automaticaly goes to his main website, obviously you can make the intro shorter or longer than this example or more complicated or simpler.
Also with or without audio and of course there is the "Skip Intro" option that comes up quite early if someone wants to go directly to your existing website  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 15:17 »
Hi

Sometimes when you sign up for a domain name you get a free redirection service from the providers control center.

The HTML code to redirect to a certain page is as follows:

Code: [Select]
<html>
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.yoursite.com">
</head>
</html>

Just make an index.html file with the above code in it, replace yoursite.com with your wanadoo site name and place the file in the directory for your new domain name.

Any questions just ask - hope it works!

DJ

EDIT - Forgot to say, the 0 in the code means it waits zero seconds before redirection. If you want to put a message on the page then redirect you can  simply add html code to the body of the page and set the time before redirection to a higher number.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 15:18 »
DJ, can Phil not simply point the new domain to the old (Wanadoo) name servers, via the user control panel?  PC Pals is with 123reg.co.uk, and I'm sure that's what we did when we changed hosts.  It possibly may not work with free web space such as Wanadoo, or I may have misunderstood completely!  :|

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 15:21 »
Quote from: "Simon"
DJ, can Phil not simply point the new domain to the old (Wanadoo) name servers, via the user control panel?  PC Pals is with 123reg.co.uk, and I'm sure that's what we did when we changed hosts.  It possibly may not work with free web space such as Wanadoo, or I may have misunderstood completely!  :|

Yep he probably can and that'll be the easiest way to do it.  Thats what I meant when I said

Sometimes when you sign up for a domain name you get a free redirection service from the providers control center.

But without knowing which host he is going to use, I thought the HTML code might be of use. :smile:

DJ

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 20:36 »
indeed it would be! in fact thats what we use on pc-pals for the switch from the home directory (pc-pals.com) to the forum directory.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 14:23 »
Thanks v.much for the replies.

I was thinking of signing up with 1and1. They would charge £1.99 per year for my .co.uk domain name.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 14:35 »
Yep I've had domains with them for over 3 years now.  Make sure you sign up for the Instant Domain Registraton package (I think thats what its called) at £1.99 and not more expensive mail / hosting packages.

Only problem I've had is that when I wanted to cancel a domain - I had to ask twice as they lost one of my faxes - but it all got sorted quite quickly.

They have the option in their control panel to redirect automatically to a different site.

Good Luck

DJ

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Getting Started With Hosting ...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 19:51 »
Hi

I'm looking to consolidate my domain registration companies and maybe get a new hosting company as well.

I currently have the following - (simplified!)...

domain1 (.com) - host and register at b-one.net
domain2 (.info) - register as oneandone.co.uk and host as current ISP
domain3 (.co.uk) - same as domain2 - on same account as domain2
domain4 (.co.uk) - same as domain2 - but separate account
domain5 (.co.uk) - same as domain2 - same account as domain4.

Ideally, I'd like to have them all registered under the same company.  I'm looking to get rid of domain2 (.info) as I don't use it.  Also I want to move away from hosting on my current ISP - so I can change broadband providers at a later date.

Now my questions, is there a company that anyone would recommend that  I sign up for hosting and / or registers.  Do companies allow multiple domain registrations on one hosting account (I know b-one.net don't). Also some don't allow transfer of .co.uk domains.  Also the cheaper the better!

Thanks all,

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum