Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pages loading at smail pace  (Read 10837 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re:Pages loading at smail pace
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 19:24 »
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

What does this bit mean, I've never seen that before. I thought it looked odd though?
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 19:29 »
And that needed fixing too :)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 20:18 »
Did that and It's just the same. I've ran every conceivable check for spyware and don't know what else to do. I'm also getting this sokets trois V1 trojan trying to invade every 2 seconds but firewall is blocking it. :'(
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 21:56 »
Lona, it's quite conceivable that it may be your ISP on a temporary go-slow.  This has happened to me on several occasions, sometimes for as long as 2 weeks.  Take a look at your server status or ISPr forums to see if any faults are being reported.  But if your ISP is as bad as mine, they won't ever admit to having a problem.  Things just suddenly return to normal with no word of apology.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 22:18 »

Lona, it's quite conceivable that it may be your ISP on a temporary go-slow.  This has happened to me on several occasions, sometimes for as long as 2 weeks.  Take a look at your server status or ISPr forums to see if any faults are being reported.  But if your ISP is as bad as mine, they won't ever admit to having a problem.  Things just suddenly return to normal with no word of apology.

Do you know Clive, I'm beginning to think you're right. They did report an outage on 19th to 20th May but when I go in now it has disappeared and there is nothing to say it has been fixed. I have emailed them twice and they haven't answered. What made me think it might be spyware is that my email is downloading fast and so are other downloads, it's only browsing that's affected. I have been at this all day and evening trying all kinds of spyware programmes but to no avail.  :(

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 22:52 »
I know I keep on about it, but all joking aside, it might be an idea to try a different browser, just to establish whether IE might be the problem, Lona.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 18:22 »
Well Simon, I'm at the stage I will try anything. I have run spychaser, spybot, ad-aware, hijackthis and another one I found called the ultimate troubleshooter. What version of Mozilla do you advise.?  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 18:37 »
For ultimate stability, I would go for Mozilla 1.6, Lona.  Once you've downloaded it, if you only want the browser, you can choose 'Browser Only' during the installation process.

I was toying with recommending Firefox, but really, it's still in development.  Mozilla 1.6 is fully finished and stable.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 19:28 »
Mozilla 1.6 installed Simon. I am using it just now and just the same symptoms. Jerky mouse and pages loading slowly. :(. It can't be browser problems that's causing this. I don't know what else to try and pipex aren't answering my emails. I would hate to reformat just to find out it's a pipex fault. I will give it another day or two. :'(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 20:20 »
It could also be a problem with your local exchange Lona. My ISP has a free status line which provides information like that.  I should imagine that Pipex must have something similar.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2004, 22:40 »
Well, at least you have eliminated IE as being the culprit.  It definitely sounds like it could be spyware, but you've done everything, and Dack would have spotted anything iffy in your Hijack This log.  It sounds like your system is struggling to keep up for some reason.

Have you recently loaded any software, or anything?  How are your resources generally?  How much disc space do you have left?  Not that you download much, of course.  :whistle:  Is there anything in Task Manager which shows as using rersources heavily?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2004, 23:30 »
When I first boot up my resources are sitting at 80%. I checked just now and they are at 65%. I have 22gbts free on my hard drive so I wouldn't say I am overloaded. The only software I have downloaded recently has been all these spyware programmes. I also added memory not long ago and my ram is at 384mb. I have deleted as much as I can from my startup folder so don't know what else I can do.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2004, 23:49 »
You need to see what processor usage is being made by each application. I'd actually hazard a guess that your anti virus software is playing silly beggers (though I NEVER was a fan of Norton).

Edit:
Just been internet searching and you are not the only one having web slowdowns who has got Norton running - you didn't update it a few days ago did you? Might be worth a system restore.

hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2004, 00:42 »
As a matter of fact I did update Norton, Dack. Now there's a thought.  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2004, 00:51 »
So did I on 3 pcs, all connected to pipex ADSL, and nothing like you are experiencing has happened to any of them Lona  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum