Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home Cinema  (Read 37604 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Home Cinema
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2003, 00:12 »
:youch:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2003, 15:57 »
After much deliberation and cogitation I am considering a Yahama RXV630 receiver (for certain) and Mission FS1AV speakers.  The speaker system looks ideal as they are unobtrusive and can be wall mounted.  I know they use NXT technology but are they up to the job?

Offline Hitch

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2003, 16:50 »
After readin all this im just glad i stuck with my goodl old dolby 6.1.

Get an old granny round and play someat like armeggadon..hehe watch them freak at the intro... life assurance optional  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2003, 17:08 »
:lol: Hitch.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Mission speakers, Clive, but I'll check them out after tea for you.   ;) :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2003, 17:23 »
You have to bear in mind that these Mission speakers use a completely new technology and are probably manufactured by NXT.  NXT actually owned Mission until about a year ago but sold them off in order to raise cash for more research.  They still however have very close links.  I realise that there has to be a compromise between sound quality and aesthetics.  As far as the aesthetics are concerned there is nothing to touch them.  But what about those lower frequencies?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2003, 18:25 »
[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2003, 19:27 »
The Missions you are buying are a good price aren't they?  Yes, the FS1AV's are very stylish indeed and they look just as good in the flesh.  I would really like to see some impartial reviews though.  Do the specifications look ok to you Simon?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2003, 20:33 »
Here are some reviews Clive.  I have to point out that these were taken off the Mission website, so they will bound to have selected the best bits, but you'll get the gist I think.   ;)

T3 (UK) January 2003 Issue
4 Star Review.

'Manufacturers routinely promise the impossible from tiny subsat packages in the knowledge that - although multichannel audio and home cinema is an attractive prospect for many - space is always at a premium. Compact subsat systems are better than they were, but on the whole they're not good enough - yet.'

'What, then, does Mission's latest system bring to the mix? The fs1 system consists of five satellites and a subwoofer with some unique features. The satellites are no smaller than many, but because they're so thin they're also less intrusive.'

'The laws of physics preclude extracting meaningful bass from very tiny boxes, and the fs1 subwoofer is no smaller than many others. But instead of the usual rectangular box, which needs to be placed mid-wall to work properly, the fs1 subwoofer is designed to fit the dead space in the corner of the room, its rounded shape making a refreshing change.'

Home Cinema Choice (UK) January 2003 issue.
4.5 Star Review.

'The sleek appearance of the Mission fs1 package is immediately striking. The satin silver finish gives the speakers a genuine classy look and although this is no way a hugely expensive system, the sturdy build quality of the component speakers suggest otherwise.'

'Setup is a very easy affair, making the Mission fs1 a real plug-in-and-play speaker system. The cable and terminals on the subwoofer are unique to this system, and once all the speakers are connected to the sub, then only two cables - one for the LFE - go to your amplifier.'

'Overall the system comes highly recommended. It still manages to amaze when you consider the diminutive size of the speakers, and it is incredibly stylish to boot. If you are in the market for a low-cost speaker system that won't end up taking over your living room, looks impressive and can still turn out a very credible cinematic experience, then this Mission fs1 package is a must-audition choice.'

Total DVD (UK) December 2002 issue.
4.5 star Review.

'Proving that cutting costs doesn't necessarily mean skimping on aesthetics, this 5.1 speaker system is trimmed in silver satin and boasts a nifty space-age design.'

' Thanks to Mission's NXT technology, they're also small enough to tuck away if, for some reason, you get bored of looking at them.'

'Using the wonderful Region 2 version of Saving Private Ryan as a test disc, the first thing we noticed was the surprisingly large, accurate and involving soundstage that these dinky speakers were able to create.'

www.totaldvd.net

What HI*FI (UK) December 2002 issue.
4 star Review.

The fs1 gets a creditable 4 star review stating "Slimline design with lot's of clever touches: sounds good, too.?

"For its market, we reckon this stylish package is just right, from its completeness to its flexibility of setup, and is likely to prove very successful".

www.whathifi.com

What Video & TV (UK) November 2002 issue.
Reviewer Alvin Gold awarded 4 stars.

?The fs1 is a home cinema solution for those who don?t like loudspeakers. Mission?s ultra-slim fs1 speaker system will bring a touch of panache to any living room. The fs1?s radical looks and open, spacious sound will win it many friends.?

www.whatvideotv.com  

HOME ENTERTAINMENT (UK) October 2002 issue.
Reviewer Alan Sircom awarded 5 stars

?A satin sliver finish and curvy design make the fs1 a class act. This wafer thin NXT surround sound speaker package is fantastic value for money and finds the ?Mission sound? is better than ever.?

www.home-entertainment.co.uk

For what it's worth, I would say that although the package isn't the worlds most powerful, you shouldn't have any problems hearing it in an average sized living room.  However, in my opinion (and don't let me put you off), I prefer a nice heavy speaker made out of wood!  There's just something about a good solid wooden speaker case that makes the sound the way I like it, but not having heard the FS1 package, I really can't judge.

Can I ask how much you have seen them offered for?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2003, 20:47 »
I think the speaker package was around £439 and the Yahama about £449.  Anyway the whole system is under £900 and they will throw in a fibre optic cable for free.  This is at a local store called Quinns (Adept may have heard of them)in Swansea.  I did see those reviews Simon, but as you said, they are not what I would call impartial as they may have left all the bad bits out.  Oh well, if you hear any more before I buy (probably next week) let me know.

Offline Hitch

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2003, 21:16 »

You have to bear in mind that these Mission speakers use a completely new technology and are probably manufactured by NXT.  NXT actually owned Mission until about a year ago but sold them off in order to raise cash for more research.  They still however have very close links.  I realise that there has to be a compromise between sound quality and aesthetics.  As far as the aesthetics are concerned there is nothing to touch them.  But what about those lower frequencies?

Clive, I have a 3 point system for one of my desktops by TDK using nxt flat panel and while not top rated they kickass, the tubular woofer is a godsend and really pummels the bass in a funnel.
The actual flats have fantastic sound for music and dvd alike running through a live plat... im considering dumping my sony speakers on the hifi and gettinhg the next set up for that.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2003, 22:06 »
Thank you very much for that review Hitch.  You have convinced me and I will go ahead and buy them.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2003, 09:21 »
One question which I have forgotten to ask.  What happens when you are watching normal television?  Obviously that does not have surround sound capabilities but do you get any sound from the extra speakers?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2003, 14:20 »
Normal NICAM TV is broadcast in Dolby Pro Logic, so you would get sound out of the rear speakers, but only in mono, Clive.  The same applies to the Freeview Digital channels I think.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2003, 14:40 »
And the subwoofer too?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2003, 15:00 »
It should do, Clive, but you won't notice much 'woofing' with TV sound.

Just a small tip, it's best to try to avoid the temptation to turn up the sub-woofer if you can't always hear it.  They are supposed to reinforce the bass, not overpower it.  If you have it set right, you'll hear it when you need to, and it will have more of an impact.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum