Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home Cinema  (Read 37460 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Home Cinema
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2003, 14:22 »
Just to prove that Curry's haven't a clue what they are doing, they just phoned again to say it's being delivered next Tuesday.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2003, 18:01 »
So, we won't see you next Tuesday then Clive!   ;) ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2003, 15:13 »
Well, true to their word the telly has arrived and two nice young men from Derby set it all up for me so that the DVD and VCR is all working through it too.  It seems fairly straightforward to use although I have to keep turning my head from side to side to take in the full screen. It remonds me a bit of when I could only afford the cheap front row seats in the cinema when the screen was right on top of you.  They were the sixpenny seats Sandra and I'm sure you remember them too.  ;D  I'm going to "bond" with the screen first before I start buying more speakers and surround sound.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2003, 15:23 »
I bet your old Super 8 films will look great on it when you manage to get them on vcd or dvd Clive  ;)

Offline Mustapha Phagg

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2003, 15:25 »

I'm going to "bond" with the screen first before I start buying more speakers and surround sound.

So Clive "The World Is Not Enough", hope you don't get a crick in your neck from sitting too close, ;D ;D
img]http://www.reset.plus.com/toons/Egyptian.gif[/img]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2003, 17:43 »
Clive!!  I Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it!  :gofor:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2003, 17:52 »
The set top box that came with it has Dolby Pro Logic and has sockets for surround speakers and subwoofer.  Does this mean that I only need  to buy a set of additional speakers to have home cinema?  You can tell by now that I really don't have a clue what I've bought.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2003, 17:57 »
This is Simons department but he'll be along soon to advise you ( Sorry for pinching your phrase Simon  ;D ;D ;D )

No doubt he'll be telling you off for not getting 5.1 or even 6.1 Clive  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2003, 18:14 »
If you can give me the make and model number of the STB, Clive (Set Top Box!), I'll find out some more for you.  Is it a Sky box?

From what you've said, it sounds like the STB will only deliver DPL (Dolby Pro Logic), when what you really want is Dolby Digital 5.1, and preferably DTS too, which it sounds like you will need an additional amp for.

The difference is this:  DPL outputs from the centre speaker (the one that would be above the TV), and in stereo from the front speakers, but only outputs from the rear speakers in MONO.  With DD5.1 and DTS you get stereo from the rear speakers as well, which makes a hell of a big difference to the overall Home Cinema Experience.

The reason you have only been given a DPL box, is that Terrestrial TV, and (with a minority of possible exceptions) most Satellite channels only broadcast in DPL.  You would only get the benefit of DD5.1 or DTS when playing DVDs, but I can't express how much it's worthwhile having!

You might find THIS GUIDE interesting, and informative.   :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2003, 18:32 »
That's the guide I've been looking for Simon!  I don't have time to read it now as I'm off out soon, but I'll read it when I come back.  

All it says on the box is that it's Samsung surround sound Dolby pro-logic.  There are no numbers or other means of identification.  The handbook says that it is a "media station".

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2003, 18:40 »
Sounds like it's just designed for your TV speakers, Clive.  Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to go the whole hog, which you might as well now, you have to look at getting a proper Home Cinema Amp.  I'd still recommend the Yummyha in Richer Sounds, and RS do some good deals on speakers as well.  You could do a lot worse then going for Mission speakers.  Did you say you already had a decent pair of fronts?  All you would then need is a set of rears and a centre.  Oh, and a Sub Woofer to shake the sofa!!  :heehee:  :gofor:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2003, 19:46 »
 Oh, and a Sub Woofer to shake the sofa!!  :heehee:  :gofor:

Have you already got your dog then Clive?If not I would get a proper woofer not a sub standard one  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2003, 21:13 »
Have you already got your dog then Clive?If not I would get a proper woofer not a sub standard one  ;)

That's a very good point Sandra.   :damn:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2003, 23:45 »
Now you're confusing him, Sandra!!   ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2003, 00:10 »

Now you're confusing him, Sandra!!   ;D ;D

It doesnt take much Simon,after all he is only a man  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum