Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home Cinema  (Read 37600 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Home Cinema
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2003, 13:47 »
Yes!!  It works and I'm very impressed with the way it sounds.  The speakers all have to be positioned in their final places as they are not yet fixed, but that is a small job.  The only problem is that the amplifier has to be switched on or the phono plugs removed to get the TV speakers to work.  That's a bit strange but my son will have a look at that when he comes home next weekend.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2003, 15:14 »
Well done Clive!  I thought you'd be pleased with it!  That TV speakers thing is strange.  The only thing I can think of is it must be something to do with the way the TV Box is wired up to the amp, and for some reason, it's cutting out the TV speaker channels.  Master of the art of the bleeding obvious, I know!

Perhaps there's something in the set up menus of the TV box that will solve it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2003, 16:11 »
I've just watched the first half of Star Wars "Attack of the Clones" and the sound  surpassed my wildest expectations, especially considering that the speakers are currently in the wrong place.  The only connections between the TV box and the amplifier are the 6 speaker phonos so I can't see how I can have done anything wrong with that.  I've taken a look at the TV sound menu too and I can't see anything obvious.  In fact it seems pretty foolproof and it appears to automatically detect what I want.

We'll see what happens when my son comes home.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2003, 18:37 »
Glad you're impressed Clive - it's a real ear opener isn't it!  ;D ;D

Actually, you couldn't have chosen a much better DVD with which to benchmark your set up.  AOTC is one of the most bass heavy discs you'll find, so if you set up your subwoofer volume to suit that one, (loud enough to reinforce the bass, but not to overpower everything else) you won't find you'll have to keep jumping up to turn it down when you play other films.  Of course, you might want to turn it up!  ;)  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2003, 19:57 »
It was amusing to watch the cat who was quite curious about the sound coming out of the subwoofer and kept sniffing it when the film was playing.  I lost count of the number of times she jumped out of her skin with her ears pinned back!   ;D  Yes, the effects are particularly good on AOTC.  Mrs Clive is presently watching a BBC DVD but that is just in Dolby so only the TV speakers are in action.  I'm probably not getting the best out of the Yamaha yet as I need to fiddle with it while watching different media.  Fiddling is always best done when Mrs Clive is out.   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2003, 20:24 »
I believe that you prefer playing with yourself when Mrs Clive is out Clive  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2003, 20:57 »
Trust a woman to bring down the tone!  This is a BOYS TOYS zone, Sandra - On Yer Bike!! ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2003, 07:44 »
Well said Simon!   ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2003, 17:16 »
I am on the home straights with my home cinema setup.  My son has been home this weekend and he confirmed that I had wired it all up correctly.  The problem was that I should have set the receiver to "home theatre" instead of "DVD".  Now everything works perfectly!  

All I have left to do is to place the speakers correctly.  I've mounted the rear ones 6ft from the floor as recommended in the Yamaha manual although I think they may have been better when they were lower down.  I've moved the subwoofer into a more prominent position but I think it performed just as good when it was hidden from view under a desk.  I am considering moving it back again but before I do, I have to get longer cables for the rear speakers.  Unfortunately they have 2 pin female connectors (offset) and I'm not sure where I can obtain them.  The front main speakers are on tall stands and I think I will wall mount them as they look a bit obtrusive at present.  Anyway, the sound is awesome!  Thanks (particularly to Simon) for all the help I've had on this.  It was far better than that I received from the Home Theatre forum (from an admin at that) and I hope I will never have to visit them again!

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2003, 19:05 »
Way hey Simon ... way to go  ;D ;D ;D :welldone:
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2003, 21:29 »
   Clive!!

The rear speakers *ideally* should be placed around 12 inches above head height from sitting position, so 6ft could actually be a little high.  I say *ideally* because very few people actually have the *ideal* positions available, due to the geometry of the average living room.  The best way I found was to throw the book away, and have them where they sound best to you.  As I've said before, the downside of a Home Cinema is the fact that there is only one 'perfect' seating position, so you just have to make the best of what is practicable (and agreeable with the wife!)

The sub-woofer can be placed virtually anywhere, because the low frequency sound is not directional, but again *ideally*, it should be placed somewhere in between the two front speakers.  It's fine under a desk, as long as there is room for it to 'breathe', and the bass port is not blocked.  Again, have it where it sounds best to you.

Just a thought, I don't doubt that they would be, but make sure any speakers, including the sub-woofer, are magnetically shielded, before placing them near the TV.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2003, 22:19 »
The rear speakers are a little more than 12" above head level but not by a huge margin.  I decided to mount them so that the top of the speakers are at 6ft rather than the bottom.   ;D  So perhaps they are in the ideal position after all.  

I don't know if the cables have "standard" connections or whether they are unique to Mission.  I would be very surprised if they are unique although I haven't seen that type of connector before.  I'll take one into Maplins next time I visit and see what they have to say.  I'm sure I can't be the first person to require a longer speaker cable!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2003, 10:17 »
I telephoned Mission this morning and they will supply me with longer cables for £13.00.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2003, 14:44 »
That's not too bad Clive.  

I've just ordered 100 meters of speaker cable from Maplins for £20, but that's without special connectors.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2003, 16:41 »
This is just to let you know how much I hate you two,Simon and Clive  >:(

I am sat at my computer glancing occassionally at a large box containing 5 speakers,an amplifier,a control box(with yet another remote control to add to my existing 8 ),lots of leads and wires  :o

I havent a clue how and when I am going to get around to figuring out where each bit is going and where the wires go  ???

AND IT IS BOTH YOUR FAULTS FOR GOING ON AND ON ABOUT HOW GREAT IT WAS    :'(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum