Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: problem with pipex  (Read 2359 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:problem with pipex
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 17:30 »
Lona Hi..  ;)

Right  ;D go onto the BT website you will have to log in.

New Users

Register with BT.com to access additional services including managing your BT account online and an extra 200 online number information searches a month

Then go to customer services/ report a fault / Report On fault on line. put your number in then follow prompts..wait 10 secs fill in the form. enter then wait another 10 secs or so, if there is a fault it will come up with a picture showing  the exchange/bt's network your house and it will if there is a fault pinpoint it to within 3mts of the fault  :o

Hope this helps or anybody else  that wants to check their line 8)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 18:11 »
Lona, have you tried re-installing your ADSL modem in a different USB port?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 20:53 »
Lona, don't be insulted by my question, I have to ask as I found a similar fault at work today...

Is the alarm thingy plugged into the telephone line directly or via your ADSL splitter?

One of our sattellite offices had been complaining for ages that their Internet connection was slow and their router often crashed. I checked the software and the hardware but couldn't find a fault. But the router continued to crash and the net was very slow. Then I noticed that someone had installed a panic alram and instead of plugging it into the  ADSL splitter, ther had installed a normal phone line splitter and plugged the alarm into one side and the ADSL splitter into the other!

Needless to say, the ADSL splitter is now stuck firmly into the BT wall box with duck tape :heehee:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 22:13 »
Thanks for that BT.com advice Hook.  I've already registered with them but didn't realise you could perform a line test through it.  The directory services function is excellent and I've used it several times.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 22:22 »
Good thinking Adept.

I never knew that either regards line checking via the BT website. I've been a member since I had their MidBand service. Mind you as per usual, the BT website is not working properly....but they know about it, but they don't say when it will be fixed. It was acting up the other week, when I was trying to alter some account details....I had to phone a nice man in India....oh deary me.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 23:42 »

I had to phone a nice man in India....oh deary me.

Thats the worst Indian accent I have ever heard Tony  ::)

And shouldnt it have been "Oh deary deary me"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 00:17 »

Lona, don't be insulted by my question, I have to ask as I found a similar fault at work today...

Is the alarm thingy plugged into the telephone line directly or via your ADSL splitter?

One of our sattellite offices had been complaining for ages that their Internet connection was slow and their router often crashed. I checked the software and the hardware but couldn't find a fault. But the router continued to crash and the net was very slow. Then I noticed that someone had installed a panic alram and instead of plugging it into the  ADSL splitter, ther had installed a normal phone line splitter and plugged the alarm into one side and the ADSL splitter into the other!

Needless to say, the ADSL splitter is now stuck firmly into the BT wall box with duck tape :heehee:

I know what your saying about alarms.  My alarm is hard wired directly into socket and as the guy said they are not allowed to put them into a splitter incase they get knocked out accidently. I got the alarm company to come and disconnect the speechdialler from the box but I am still getting disconnected at random, although tonight it has been fine.  It seems to be worse during the day.

Simon, I did re-install modem to different usb socket but it made no difference.  I have written to pipex again to ask them to contact BT so will just have to wait for the outcome.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum