Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Are Bt leading me up the garden path  (Read 944 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Are Bt leading me up the garden path
« on: September 03, 2004, 21:58 »
I have been having trouble lately with disconnections on BB.

I contacted Pipex who told me to check all my connections ie alarm system and sky.

I phoned alarm company and had them disconnect alarm system and I disconnected sky modem.

Whenever it was heavy rain I kept being disconnected from BB so I then phoned BT and reported a fault on my line

I was told that an engineer would call on thursday, before he arrived an engineer called from BT to tell me to tell the engineer they had seen a definate fault on the line and to tell him to change the line into my house when he came.

The engineer came yesterday and checked my line for faults and said I had digital interference. When he disconnected my modem the interference went away. He then told me I had a faulty modem, possibly caused by a lightning strike with all the recent storms and said that the BT engineer who rang me had no right to tell me to tell him to change the line and insisted there was nothing wrong with the line.

When I asked about the rain and that I don't have disconnections when it is dry he said rain could not have affected my line and that my line was perfect and to get a new modem.  

I said my modem was working perfectly at the moment  and that surely if it was faulty it wouldn't work at all. He said he didn't know why but that it had nothing to do with BT.

Anyone got any better ideas.????
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re:Are Bt leading me up the garden path
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 22:13 »
Ok the guy from BT is probably just doing his best on the day and that's his best guess at this time, so don't be too hard on him lol  ;)

Sounds to me that there may be a perished cable or nick in a cable on your line in because they can show up in the wet weather...

Have you had a line test done in the wet weather?

I'm sure there is a number you can call on your line to do that but i don't know the number of hand  ::)

Anyway i'm just clutching at straws like the rest of them  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 22:15 »
Well rule #1 Lona is to always get the name of the person you speak to then you have some comeback if  someone contradicts info you are given.
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 22:23 »
As Cammy says it will probably show differently in the dry to in the wet if its letting water in and has dried out over the last few days.
That BT online line test you did the other day should possibly show it as ok now.
So I would suggest that you do the online test now, and print the result off.
When it rains heavily and you get the same problem again then run the test again which hopefully will show the fault and print that off.
Then contact BT again and you will have the evidence in black and white to prove it to them  :)
If your modem had been damaged due to lightning then I think it would be totally dead and not have a resurrection on dry days  ;)
I think the BT guy just didnt want to do anything too physical today  :(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 22:23 »
When I had a similar problem on dial-up during wet weather it turned out that the BT box which feeds my street was full of water.  The engineer dried it out and fed a new cable through to me and I've not had any problems since.  My feeling is that your guy is just trying to pass the buck.

I don't think modems are very expensive these days so you could always prove a point by buying a new one and keeping the old one as a spare.  If you are still having problems you can then nail BT once and for all.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 22:48 »
Clive!!!!

She's Scottish  ::) ;) ;D

Ohhh BTW. Did you see that Scotland were leading Spain 1-0 at half time  :o ;D ;D ;D

We should have been 3 up  :o but as usual i bet we get beat 3-1 or summit  ::) ::) ::) ;) ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum