Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: any legal eagles?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
any legal eagles?
« on: September 26, 2004, 00:14 »
evening all, i'll try and make this brief.  my camcorder has been showing an intermittent fault for the last 18 months (first seen 15 months after purchase) which has recently worsened and now it flatly refuses to work, it tells me to take it to be serviced.  To my thinking this represents a product not fit for its purpose (especially as i've only recorded around 15 one hour tapes in all the time i've had it.

has anyone sucessfully had repairs done free of charge on an item out of the manufacturers 12 month guarantee.  i'm fully expecting the retailer to wash their hands of responsibility, so any advice would be welcome.  The law seems rather grey on this matter, although i've heard of people getting tv's replaced up to 5 years after purchase.  :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:any legal eagles?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 09:50 »
The trouble is, you can't prove how little you've used it, so you would just have to put on your best innocent face, and hope the retailer takes your word for it.  It certainly might be worth speaking to the Manager of the retailer, who might do something for you to maintain good customer relations, otherwise, I would contact the manufacturers, Dave.  As you say, you do expect an item to outlive the warranty by a little longer then three months, but you might have been more hopeful of some recourse, had you done something about this sooner.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 10:48 »
The law on this is greyer than a monday morning in manchester but i'll give it my best shot.  i'll say i've spoken to my solicitor on pcpals.   ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 16:12 »
It may also be worthwhile trying http://howtocomplain.com/ It's free and I understand that it's very good.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 17:21 »
Good site Clive, thanks.  Virtually makes the complaint for you  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 19:46 »
I bet Lona taught them all they know  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 22:29 »

I bet Lona taught them all they know  ;)

I don't give out all my secrets freely.  ::)

My best advice to you Daveeb and how to go about it is, if I know I am in the wrong but I want a company to help me I always plead the poor wee woman who didn't know her rights and if you get a sypathetic manager your quids in.

However, If I know I am in the right, I start off quite nicely and then if they don't respond I turn into the hulk, that usually gets results.  ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 23:06 »
Best of luck, Dave!  Just tell them you'll send the Pals round!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 13:47 »
Think i'll threaten them with sending Lona around :o

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 00:12 »

Think i'll threaten them with sending Lona around :o

Am yir wummin, Daveeb.  ;D ;)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum