Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: "Group Policy" in the Microsoft Console  (Read 1183 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
"Group Policy" in the Microsoft Console
« on: October 28, 2004, 00:56 »
It's my first time I open this section in the computer.

Seems it has a lot of options in case we like to make some modifications somewhere.

Here it is:

Click Start, click Run, type GPEDIT.MSC to open "Group Policy" in the Microsoft Management Console.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:"Group Policy" in the Microsoft Console
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 09:01 »
Hmmm...  :-\

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 10:04 »
;)

GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the took is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is making registry entries. So, the best alternative is to edit the registry using Regedit. Be aware that editing the registry incorrectly can make your system unbootable or cause other issues, so proceed carefully before diving in!  

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:14 »
:-\  Sorry Simon, and thanks Hook.

Well, I didn't know that it doesn't work on "Home Edition". I change my system from time to time, between Home and Professional. I was lucky today to have it Professional, which made it work for me.    :)

But, in fact, it's really an interesting area to visit. It's much more simple than the registry to modify and to understand. Maybe even it's much less risky, as you know here what you're doing and why and how.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 16:24 »
Here's a relatively interesting thread in this forum which might be a little helpful:

http://forums.winxpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=6592

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum