Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: AVG - The Nightmare Has Ended  (Read 669 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
AVG - The Nightmare Has Ended
« on: November 13, 2004, 14:34 »
As I type, I am currently downloading AVAST anti-virus, to replace the awful AVG, a program that I have managed to successfully update just six times this year.  I tried to update it today (as I do every Saturday) and after 2.3MB of a 3.5MB update it simply stopped, as it always does - and that's if it even starts to download in the first place.  With thousands of new nasties being unleashed upon us every week, this is totally unacceptable and renders that vastly overated piece of crap useless.

I am also going to download the kraut Free-AV program and try that in a week's time.  If anyone has experience of either (or preferably both) these programs, I would appreciate seeing what you think.

Thanks.  :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re:AVG - The Nightmare Has Ended
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 00:30 »
I've only been using the AntiVir software for about a week but so far I'm happy with it :).  It seems to load very quickly when Windows boots up and is quite unobtrusive.  I've checked my system against PandaSoft's online virus checker and the AntiVir seems to be doing a good job so far.  Having been using it for a week, I updated today using AOL silver service (10x normal dial-up speed) and found it only took a minute or so.  Once it had downloaded the update, it then disconnected my internet connection whilst it began the procedure to update the database, so there is a caveat :-\ .  All in all, though, not bad for a bit of freeware.

Yours

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:AVG - The Nightmare Has Ended
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 23:35 »
Hi, Gill.

Yes.  I installed the German proggy, and have already had two updates.

Very impressed.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum