Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: General Protection Fault  (Read 931 times)

Offline littleluvnuts

• New Registration
General Protection Fault
« on: December 14, 2004, 15:22 »
I have a brand new version of XP Pro installed and when I try to install a PC game, dont matter which one, I get this message: WOWEXEC has caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.EXE at 000A:0032

I have looked at my system files and noticed that the ntvdm.exe and the wowexec.exe file are missing from the start up..HELP!

Thanks alot

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:General Protection Fault
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 16:27 »
Hi, Littleluvnuts!   ;D

I did a quick Google search for WOWEXEC, and although I didn't find an actual solution to your problem, the following may be of interest:-

Windows On Windows Execution -  wowexec.exe

What does it do?
In addition to the 16-bit applications, each NTVDM process includes a heartbeat thread that interrupts every 55 milliseconds to simulate a timer interrupt, and the Wowexec.exe thread, which helps to create 16-bit tasks and to handle the delivery of the 16-bit interrupt. This thread supports 16-bit Windows applications in a 32-bit Windows environment. The WOW subsystem provides an NTVDM where all Win16 applications run. You will see the heartbeat and Wowexec threads when monitoring 16-bit applications.

Virus Precautions:
You'll want to keep an eye on this google search for any known viruses. The normal location of this file is C:\windows\system32\wowexec.exe

There is a spoof of this process called _wowexec.exe. Running a program such as Lavasoft's AdAware or SpyBot S&D should remove the spoof. Note that the naughty stealth authors are using this methodology more and more. Creating a spoof of a known process which you would typically miss on casual inspection. Yet another reason why it is more and more important to run such utilities.

The WOW subsystem relies/works in conjunction with the Virtual DOS Machine (VDM) that NT based systems use to execute 16-bit DOS applications. WOW as a process is entitled wowexec.exe . WOW is executed automatically by Windows when a 16-bit program is initialised and is transparent to the user in execution.

Process Name: Windows On Windows Execution Process
Description: Windows On Windows Execution Support Process provides support for 16-bit Windows applications together with ntvdm.exe.It is started by NTVDM which starts itself every time you run a 16-bit program.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

Just in case you have picked up the 'spoof' WOWEXEC, try running the two spyware remover programs mentioned above, and linked to below.

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D

You could also try Start > Run > sfc /scannow, and see if that comes up with anything.  Note the space between sfc and /.

Hopefully someone more technical will be able to help you, if all that fails.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum