Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: picture  (Read 5169 times)

Offline davypipes

Re:picture
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2004, 07:33 »
hope am still not "the red cross man"for most of u guys!!! :)...funny enuff i cant see my own pic on this comp!!!but it had shown on the previous comp i was using(kinda makes u wonder how many comps i have ;D)...hmmmm..think mmust be something to do with settings!

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 13:23 »
Can I hotlink images? Can I put Images or files on my FreeWebs account and have them available from other sites?
Hotlinking means storing an image on one web account and linking directly to it from another website. This is also referred to as Image hosting. Some users wish to have their images available to link to from other webpages such as eBay or from their discussion boards. FreeWebs prevents this type of use as our primary purpose is to provide web hosting. However, for those users who do wish to use FreeWebs as an image host as well, we have made available Webzoom which will permit your files to be hotlinked and will also increase their bandwidth speed. You can sign up for Webzoom from your Premium Services area after logging into your FreeWebs account.

Mystery solved ? ;)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 13:45 »
I dont think so Dack, even if he is using the freewebs part and not the zoom, why can I and a few others see it while others cant ?
I can understand why Simon can see it now as he opened it in IE or mozilla and its possibly cached now so it will work on here but I didnt do that, it just worked for me  ???

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004, 14:15 »

look hitting image and properties For Sandra , Me  Davypies comes up with
www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/sandra2004.jpg
www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk/smoking.jpg
www.freewebs.com/pcpals/jesus.gif

His image address is wrong pop that in the browser and it brings you back to this page we are all viewing.

Alter the address to read www.freewebs.com/jesus.gif and you just get the 404 page not found message.

Edit: well it did, now even that address brings you back to this page  >:(

So will somebody pop in the missing bit [ davypipes account name at freewebs of whatever] of the correct address for all our sakes never mind Christs.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004, 15:01 »
I assume the pcpals part is there because thats the directory hes created to put his gif in Tony, thats why it shows on
www.freewebs.com/pcpals/jesus.gif to me Chorley dave and Simon, if you miss it out and just have www.freewebs.com/jesus.gif  then you I get the 404 error page the same as you because its not in that directory.
Maybe his username is pcpals on freewebs  :)
What I cant understand is that if freewebs doesnt allow linking on the free basic package, then how can some of us see it  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004, 15:07 »
Just an idea butI cant access some pages if my firewall blocks the referrer, I had to set it to allow referrers some months back to access certain sites I use regularly, norton blocks referrers by default  :(
Can you see the pic if you temporarily disable your firewall Tony  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004, 17:13 »
The mystery deepens....  It's obviously something to do with caching, but in the opposite way to which you meant, I think, Sandra.  I couldn't see the image just now, but when I copied the image url to my browser address bar, the image appeared in the browser window, and now I can see it on our pages, in Davy's posts.  If I clear my cache, I can no longer see it.  So, basically, I can only see the avatar image, if it has been previously cached, which means it isn't linking properly to the host.  If you don't clear out your cache, that's probably why you can permanently see it, Sandra.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2004, 21:24 »
It is because you can't do hotlinking with the free account. As the FAQ says (and I posted)

Can I hotlink images? Can I put Images or files on my FreeWebs account and have them available from other sites?

Hotlinking means storing an image on one web account and linking directly to it from another website. This is also referred to as Image hosting. Some users wish to have their images available to link to from other webpages such as eBay or from their discussion boards. FreeWebs prevents this type of use as our primary purpose is to provide web hosting. However, for those users who do wish to use FreeWebs as an image host as well, we have made available Webzoom which will permit your files to be hotlinked and will also increase their bandwidth speed. You can sign up for Webzoom from your Premium Services area after logging into your FreeWebs account

If you copy the address to a browser you will then have the image in your cache and so every time the image is called it will be seen. Clearing the cache will bring the red cross back again.

For a similar effect try having a search on http://images.devilfinder.com/ and you will get a 'hotlinking not allowed' image instead of the expected one in some instances.

Solution is to use another free image service, one of those listed at http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php should be OK

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2004, 23:06 »
I empty my cache every time I close the browser (Opera 7.53) but I have been able to see it from day one.  ???

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2004, 23:43 »
I use Opera 7.54 and just tried that - it wasn't there.

If you clear the cache manually and then shut down opera, then reopen it with no pages open on start - navigating to this thread shows the image as being 0 x 0 in size and a massive 339 bytes. Opening the image properties and cut n pasting the properties into a new window will also not display it. Hitting refresh on the page will though as you are then accessing the data from the freewebs domain. Image size is then 100x100 and 2 and a bit K.

If you open Opera in 'last state' it still keeps the image data loaded.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2004, 00:04 »

Can you see the pic if you temporarily disable your firewall Tony  ???

did that, still no luck everybodies piture showing but Davypipes.

Cleared cache re enabled firewall, come back to PC Pals and bugger me Lona and Simons pics are missing.

Mine yours and Dacks still there, mucked about still no joy. Anyway I was going to re-image C:Drive and it only takes 4/5 mins.

Did that and everybodys pics is back but Davypipes.....I'm begining to get bored with this now  ::)  

Davy just email my the jesus gif, I'll host it for you, am an atheist but I'm sure Jesus wont mind  ;D ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2004, 02:00 »
Even weirder is that Tony posted just after midnight and it shows in last 5 posts bit on the main page but not in here ?
The only way I can read it is by going into Tonys profile, (not a pretty sight, especially for such a young refined lady as myself  :o ) and click on last 10 posts part  ???

Edited to add that now I have posted this it has allowed Tonys post to be shown  ???

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2004, 09:39 »
I just love it when you rummage with my profile Sandra  ::) ;D

I must abmit some funny things seem to be happening on PC Pals of late. One being it seems to have slowed loading, yet I don't suffer slow loading on any other sites. Some times I just cannot be arsed waiting, hence my posting rate has dropped....so it's not all bad  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2004, 16:31 »
I have to admit, I have also found Pals slow to initially load lately, but once you get in, posting and navigation seems to be at the normal rate, which has never been exceptionally fast in any case.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2004, 22:18 »
Definately faster than the BT site.  ;D

Davypipes picture will soon be up ::) I received a PM from him accepting my offer to host it on my webspace. All he was short of was an email address to send it to me, so watch this space    :o

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum