Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Broadband socket and cable  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Broadband socket and cable
« on: January 20, 2003, 15:27 »
I presume that all broadband sockets are the same size, i.e slightly smaller than a standard telephone socket?  I've just been connecting a Blenkin SurgeMaster into my system and it has provision for broadband in/out.  The sockets on the protector are the correct size but they have supplied the wrong connectors on the cable. There are several cables supplied with it but none are suitable.  I'm sure that I can obtain the correct cable locally, maybe from Adept.  What is that cable called?

Adept

Re:Broadband socket and cable
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 15:39 »

What is that cable called?

Clive, the connectors used for BB are called RJ-11, but I'm not sure how they are wired up.

However I think the sockets that you have on the Belkin Surgemaster are ordinary phone sockets. Can you confirm this and let me know?

P.s. Is this the model you have?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 15:41 »
I think you will find they are the standard RJ11 plugs Clive.It seems to be the standard plug for all modems whatever the speed or type  :-*

You were quick on that one Adept  ::)
I didnt even know you were around  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 15:48 »
Thanks for the lightning ( ;D) quick replies.  The model I have is the 8 way surge protector which claims to have a broadband cable in it.  I can confiirm that it doesn't as this is the third I have bought in recent weeks so it is not a faulty package.  It's the "Gold" series and black in colour and cost £49.00

Adept

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 16:06 »
Oh, one of these :)

I think what they actually mean by broadband protection is that they will protect the Ethernet cables from surges (hence the RJ45 connectors).

I suppose they don't care if your router blows up because lightening hits your phone line :(

You were quick on that one Adept  ::)
I didnt even know you were around  ;)

I move in mysterious ways Sandra. Especially so when I'm  :drunk: ;D ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 15:22 »
That's the one Adept!  But if they supplied the correct cable it would protect it wouldn't it?  The cable from the router fits into the protector so all I need is a cable with two RJ11 plugs to connect up.  Actually, I was very lucky because we had a brief period of sheet lightning last night and these protectors were tucked up safe in their boxes until yesterday aftenoon!  Talk about a stitch in time or the luck of the Irish!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 15:30 »

Talk about a stitch in time or the luck of the Irish!  

I always thought you were a sheep lover Clive  ;)

As Adept mentioned earlier some modems are cross wired so you need to check whether yours is crossed or not Clive.I dont think having the wrong will damage anything ,just stops it working and as they are only around a pound or so it wouldnt be the end of the world if you got the wrong one  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 15:53 »
I'll try that Sandra.  I still believe that blinking Blenkin have simply forgotten to include the correct cables though.  They have enclosed cables for all the other sockets on the equipment including a telephone cable and TV cable.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum