Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Free Grisoft AVG Anti Virus  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Pwilsonscott

Free Grisoft AVG Anti Virus
« on: December 19, 2004, 16:44 »
I have just installed the new version of free AVG anti virus software. The test results show an infected file ( Trojan horse - dealer ) but i can't find instructions on what to do next eg how to move to the virus vault - any ideas ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Free Grisoft AVG Anti Virus
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 18:35 »
Never used AVG myself, but usually, any infected files are moved in the quarrantine folder (in this case virus vault) automatically.  Is there not a 'Next' or 'Continue' button?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 18:48 »
The test results are displayed under headings -
Date, Time, Objects, Viruses and Errors.  I have 1 virus detected, detailed as a trojan horse. The boxes to select at the bottom are Details, Test Configuration, Remove, Content and Back. The remove box just removes the test result, its unclear what to do with the infected file.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 20:27 »
Hopefully someone who is familiar with it will pop up soon.  According to this screenshot, it's supposed to give step by step instructions on virus removal.   :-\

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 20:41 »
Thanks. The trojan horse was "dialer" not "dealer"

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 20:52 »
Ahh, a rogue dialer - yes you want to get shot of that pretty darn quick.  If AVG won't get rid of it for you, then probably Ad Aware or Spybot will.  I'm surprised it doesn't appear to be simple with AVG.  Not being funny, PWS, but are you sure you're not missing something obvious?  It's very easily done.    :)

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 21:16 »
I have tried spybot, i will try Ad aware. The virus scan takes about 25 mins on my system, and the virus is found within the first few seconds. At the end there is a box that comes up saying 1 virus foundand nuber automatically healed is 0. I wonder if virus are moved automatically to the virus vault but it is unable to do so with this virus ?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 21:34 »
If you are on BB then you don't really need to worry about having a rogue dialler since it can't really do anything.  But if you are on dial-up then you should check under Internet Options/Connections to make sure that you are still using the correct connection number and not an expensive £1 a minute one.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 21:37 »
This appears to be a known problem with AVG but apparently Spybot should cure it for you.

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 22:42 »
I have run spybot and adaware with no problems identified. The infected fils is in
C:\info6.cab:\Information.exe and is Trojan horse
dialer infected embedded object.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 22:48 »
Found a related thread on AVG Forums, which might help, PWS:-

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,2037

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 23:45 »
Thank-you. found the infected file and deleted it manually. The virus scan reveals no problems now.
Merry Xmas

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum