Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ADSL Router  (Read 6863 times)

Offline petski2

Re:ADSL Router
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2004, 17:46 »
Another silly sounding question.
As its a wireless adsl router will it operate as simply a adsl modem or does it need another computer to communicate with.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2004, 18:05 »
No it works fine just with one pc.
Its just handier as theyre usually easier to get connected than a USB modem and have the advantage of always being on regardless of whether the pc is even switched on or not.
If you have more pcs then they make connecting those to the net easier too  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2004, 18:53 »
When I upgraded from dial-up to ADSL, BTInternet had kindly changed my user ID without informing me.  What they did was to add a letter and number to my username, but obviously I was unable to connect until I phoned BT to find out why I had a problem.  I think it may be worth contacting Wanadoo to see if they have done something similar.

Offline petski2

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2004, 07:59 »
Sandra,after all that it was a faulty router.I now have a safecom one and its working fine.May I take this opportunity to thank you for all your help and say Merry Christmas. ;D ;D ;D

Offline petski2

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2004, 10:44 »
Help,router set up and working ok.Now to the second part.I have a Patriot laptop and want to use my broadband connection on this.I have bought a Wireless Lan Cardbus card but there doesnt seem to be anywhere to plug it into.Do I need some sort of adaptor

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2004, 12:55 »
Glad that it was a faulty router after all as I couldnt understand why it wasnt setting itself up  :)

There should be a slot, usually covered by a spring loaded flap at one or both sides of your laptop. I have never seen a laptop newer than a P1 that hasnt got one. Just push it in and it should lock in place and to remove it there will either be a lever or a button to release the lock  :)

Offline petski2

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2004, 15:51 »
OK sorted again,laptop has no pcmcia slots so Iv used a USB wireless thingy .Next questions,the laptop connects to the internet wirelessly no problem.My pc is full of pain in the bum stuff belonging to my daughter ie:music files,pics etc.How can I get these onto the laptop hence off my pc.Also how do I configure both machines to be able to share files.Last question,as my daughter will be on basically the same internet connection as me on her laptop will she be able to look at my email.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2004, 16:05 »
Ok, if your main pc and laptop are both on XP just open the network connections folder and run the network connection wizard from the Setup a Home or Small Office network.
This will make a shared folder on both pcs, right click on it or any other folder that you want to share and tick the Make this folder available to other users on my network and also the box Allow other network users to alter my files.
Then you just open network places on the pc that you want to copy files to and provided the folder is set to be shared on the other pc and has the correct permissions set for the files you want to copy, browse for the folder and drag them across.
She will only be able to see your emails if you set your email account up on the laptop. If you did that then whichever pc downloaded the mail first would have it. The best way would be just to have your mail account on your pc and set a different one up on the laptop for her to use  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum