Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: is it firewall or antivirus????  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:is it firewall or antivirus????
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 01:33 »
I didn't mean I had a virus, Joudi.  The bank says some antivirus programmes can interfere with their logon screen.

I would have to uninstall the programme to see.

I'm always uninstalling things so wouldn't know which one took anything away. ???
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 18:17 »
Lona, which bank is it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 19:21 »

Lona, which bank is it?

www.clydesdalebank.co.uk

I can access the website ok Simon and get to the bit where it says logon to internet banking, then page cannot be displayed comes up.

When I use firefox page comes up saying cannot find ib.cbonline.co.uk

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 19:56 »
In Mozilla, I get this:-

As can be seen, the log in window is indeed smaller than the main window, so it may be being blocked by a pop up stopper.  Sorry Lona, I know you've been all through this, but I can't think of anything else it could be.  As you can see, I can access the screen OK, so it can't be the website.  In Mozilla, you can click Tools > Popup Manager > Allow popups from this site.  Not sure if it's the same in FF, but might be worth a try.  Don't forget to click Add, when the Popup manager window comes up.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 20:06 »
I'm on Firefox Simon, and the log in screen comes up for me OK.......maybe Lona's go over her overdraft limit  ;D

Lona PM me your login details....I'll see if it works my end  ::) ;D ;)

Edit...again ....I allow cookies from the originating web site ONLY
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 22:17 »
Fat chance and NO Chance, Tony.  ;D :o :o

Just been on the phone to the bank 3 times in all.

Did all the stupid things they advised me to do and still the same outcome. I have the bank on my trusted sites with allow all cookies and no popups. Short of allowing them to help themselves to my money I've downgraded my security to the bone.  I even disabled firewall and antivirus.

The last guy I spoke to says they have been innundated with customers who can't logon and it's down to service pack2.

He said they have been onto Microsoft and Microsoft told them they are trying to find a workaround.  Apparently some antivirus programmes are causing the problem which would explain my first phonecall to them.  I had been able to get in prior to updating my antivirus. They asked me to phone microsoft but to hell with it, I will just use my old trusty pc with Millenium and  :wahh: to you Tony for telling me millenium was crap. ;).

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 22:19 »
It can't just be SP2 because I have it and can view the log in page, Lona.  Perhaps you should have stuck with Norton Anti Virus?   ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 22:27 »

It can't just be SP2 because I have it and can view the log in page, Lona.  Perhaps you should have stuck with Norton Anti Virus?   ;)

I know what you're saying Simon but this antivirus came pre-installed and I didn't want to rock the boat until my year was up but it looks like I won't be waiting.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 23:19 »
I paid a visit to the IT techies during my lunch hour at work today to see if they could come up with anything to resolve this.  However, I knew I was on a mission to nothing when the manager there looked grief stricken as soon as he read that SP2 was installed.  After observing a good minute of him shaking his head, pointing at the word "SP2" on the monitor and repeating the words "It will be that", I thanked him for his time and left.

Sorry it seemingly isn't going to be resolved early, Lona.  :'(

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 23:37 »

I know what you're saying Simon but this antivirus came pre-installed and I didn't want to rock the boat until my year was up but it looks like I won't be waiting.

I don't think you can invalidate a warranty by changing or adding software, Lona.  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 00:23 »
XP Pro......................Yes
Service Pack 2..............Yes
Norton Anti Virus...........Yes
FireFox.....................Yes
Cookies originating only....Yes
ZoneAlarm Firewall..........Yes
Probs loading login page....NO   ::)

I didn't want to rock the boat until my year was up ......come on Lona get a grip........ what are you a Man or a Mooooooouse  ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 04:25 »

Now there's a thing Tony. :o. Can I take it that you have disabled XP's own firewall?

What about you Simon?  Do you use XP's firewall?

Maybe if I get rid of it, my problems would be over.

I also found out I had Sahagent.exe installed and have spent all night getting it off my system.

I thought, great, that's been the culprit but it wasn't.

I am now going to install Norton Anti Virus and uninstall C A associates Anti Virus to see if that works.

I'll leave XP's firewall on for now but if Norton doesn't do the trick that's the next thing that's coming off.

A few things might come off Tony ;) if I find it was XP's firewall that was giving all the trouble. :P ::) ::) ::)

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2005, 10:04 »
The first thing I did when I got SP2 was to disable the Firewall, Lona, and continued using Sygate.  I think I read somewhere (on here?) that the XP-SP2 firewall still doesn't quite match the security of many of the free third party firewalls.

I have SP2, Norton AV 2003, Sygate Pro Firewall, and have never had any problems accessing web pages.  The link below is for the free version of Sygate, if you want to try it.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2005, 10:36 »

Now there's a thing Tony. :o. Can I take it that you have disabled XP's own firewall?

Yes I have disabled MS firewall, I mean who in their right mind would trust MS with their security!!!!! There are proper companies out there who's businesses sink or swim based on what their area of expertise delivers.  

Trust me I have only ever used two Firewalls....the free Zonealarm and on Simons recommendation I disabled Zonealarm and tried Sygate once. But I  reverted back to Zonealarm.....Have I ever had trouble accessing websites whilst using Zonealarm  NO. Has my security been breached using Zonealarm NO. As for security in general, I've never found anything iffy using Hijack This. OK I've had virus's sent to me in email attachments, but they never got past Norton Antivirus 2003.

Tick the disable XP firewall box, install Zonealarm and know your being protected by security professionals.  ::)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005, 14:32 »

If the pair of you had mentioned that, it would have been a step in the right direction.

Probably that's why you can get into my bank and I can't. ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum