Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows XP Loads Slow  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Xenobius

• New Registration
Windows XP Loads Slow
« on: January 21, 2005, 14:19 »
Hello all I am new here and I have not yet introduce myself. I will do that later on. I Would kindly like to ask someting which is lately effecting my Bad temper and my pc  ;D

Lately Windows loads till the WELCOME screen (next screen would be the desktop) Since I only have one personall account on the computer, the user selection screen is not shown to me. Anyways as I was saying windwos stops loading. If I try to reboot 1000 times.. it stops 1000 times! Than I got the idea to click ALT CTRL and DEL and there was nothing unsuuall. So I clicked the button SHUTDOWN and selected LOG OFF from the list and then I was greeted with the user selection screen. When I press on my account Icon than it loads windows as if nothing ever happened..

Also When I press the log off button it brings up the message the EXPLORER.EXE IS NOT RESPONDING.

Could anyone help me please? I have SpyBot S & D and have scanned the system with it. I have windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 Installed and with all the critical updated.

My CPU IS Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB Ram, fx5600 256MB Video Card and 2 Hardisks (one IDE and one SATA) Cpu is in the attick .. and belive me its 12 Degrees up here... and not to forget it is water cooled. CPU Temp is 20 - 24 Degrees NOT MORE  so it'sdefiately not temperature.

could anyone help me? maybe its a virus?

thanks a lot and i apriciate any help  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Windows XP Loads Slow
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 15:00 »
Hi Xenobius and :welcome:

As far as I know XP pro always has two accounts when it installs, an admin account plus a user.
It appears that there is a fault in the initial install if it will only open windows fully after logging off.
Has it ben running ok for a long time and just started this or is this a clean install  ???

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 17:36 »
Hi Xenobius,

Funny how its doing that all of a sudden? Anyway why not go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts.  Click "Change the way users log on or off" tick the "use the Welcome screen" box...that way it will boot to the user screen, showing the last user name, just pop your password in, and away you go.

[thats how I have my PC is setup]

By the way welcome onboard  :)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 19:00 »
Hi Xenobius

I had a similar problem some time ago and found that XP had got itself into a loop trying to re-detect hardware that I'd installed.  It might be worth checking to see if your computer is continuously trying to detect a periphal device.  If so, I overcame my problem by disabling then reinstalling the peripheral.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Xenobius

• New Registration
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 19:53 »
hey thanks all for the help!! i will try the CHANGE THE WAY USER LOG OFF ..... then i will try the hardware thingy!!

BTW It started 2 weeks ago after a FRESH install of xp

ty

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 12:39 »

BTW It started 2 weeks ago after a FRESH install of xp

If its been iffy since the fresh install then it would appear that it hasnt installed properly, did it have any problems during install such as xxxx file not found and you maybe skipped one or two ?
You could try going to  Start/Run and typing sfc /scannow in and it should replace or repair any damaged or missing files, you will need your XP cd in the cd drive while doing this  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum