Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless  (Read 1059 times)

Offline twiggy

Wireless
« on: January 21, 2005, 23:38 »
Hi there i want to go wrieless but dont have a clue about it, all these numbers and letters. I got about 100pound to spend dosnt matter if it god a bit over so can some get me a list of ebuyer for the stuff? Want the router and two wireless cards hopefully at 100mbs if thats posible and course they need to work with each other. Thanks alot would be a great help ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 13:02 »
Are you using ADSL or cable Mark ?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 13:17 »
Its ntl cable im using, wat is the difference between cable n adsl anyway if u dont mind gonig slight off topics for a bit?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 13:55 »
ADSL is connected via a BT line, cable is via NTL or other cable companies.
If you were on ADSL then the suppiled modems are usually USB and there are only a couple of routers that I know of that will take a usb connection, the majority or routers are ethernet in only.
Being on cable you are usually supplied with a modem that will connect to your pc with either usb or ethernet.
If you had been on ADSL then I would have recommended that you got a wireless/modem/router all in one but as youre on cable we can go for a hopefully cheaper option of jus a wireless router as you should be able to use your existing modem on ethernet to the router.
Are you connecting 3 desktop pcs or is one or more a laptop  ???

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 14:11 »
Well its defo cable i got. Im connecting just two dekstop computers to the router but need to no wat router to get and what two internal pci cards i need to get that will work well together, of ebuyer would be better liek said earilyer got about £100 to spend

thanks

Offline twiggy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 16:19 »
lol come on this my money ya spending ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 16:49 »
The truth is...it doesn't really matter which ones as they should all interoperate :)

The 11b ones operate at 11 Mega bits per second (or allow for about 1.2 Megabytes of data). 11g operate at 54 Mega Bits (or about 6MB). Some of the faster ones use several channels at once to double/treble the speed.

Real advantage of 11g over b is the increased range.

I use: a D-Link 654 router (bought in the US for about £25), 2 Microsoft something or other 11g PCI cards, 1 Belkin 11g PCI card, 1 D-Link USB wireless adaptor (11b).

From ebuyer the codes: 64620 (router) and two of  45622 should set you back about £85 plus postage.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 17:52 »
Can you not run an ethernet cable from each pc to a router or even just between the pcs  ???
Wired is always easier and cheaper than wi fi  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 18:18 »
I have an 11b wireless router but both desktops are wired into it because its much faster.  We only use the wireless for the laptop.

Offline twiggy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 14:50 »
I currently am using wires but the house is havig a lot of work done to it and its hard to have the cable running everywhere as builders ect keep moving things even knocking down walls  :o so it would just be so much easyier to have wireless over the next year or so thats why want it for now and hopefully getting a lappy soon thanks for all your help thow i will take a look into it later.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum