Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Google freezes...is it a virus??  (Read 629 times)

Offline deedee

• New Registration
Google freezes...is it a virus??
« on: January 29, 2005, 17:41 »
Hi guy's....am new here so...HI!!!! ;D

My home page is google. When I turn on my pc and connect to the internet, it loads up. When I do my first search or click on something from my favourates menu...it ALWAYS freezes...for about 3 mins......no matter what I do.!!!! ???

I have anti virus software and spybot and adaware etc that is all up to date, and when i run them I am told I have no virus'es so I am confused as to what the problem is. I hope someone here might have an idea as it's driving me MAD!!!!!!!! >:(

Dee xx

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Google freezes...is it a virus??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 18:20 »
This is a long shot, but can't do any harm, so you might as well try it.

Go to Control Panel > Dial Up Networking.  Right click your connection and choose Properties.  A configuration box will appear with several tabs at the top.  Click on each of the tabs until you find an option "Enable Software Compression" (it can be under any one of the tabs depending on which version of Windows you use) and make sure it is not ticked.  Click OK, shut down all windows and restart your PC.

As I say, it is a long shot, but Software Compression has be known to cause the problems you describe with some ISPs.  My previous ISP (Fast24) would not load pages at all if Software Compression was enabled - it stayed connected but just sat there.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum