Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: SP2 Problems  (Read 641 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
SP2 Problems
« on: February 11, 2005, 07:44 »
I've been given a PC to fix, and I wish I hadn't.  It would not connect to the e-mail server to send / receive e-mails, plus there was other stuff wrong with it as well.  I suspected that Norton was to blame, so had previously told the owner to uninstall Norton Firewall.  Last night I also uninstalled NAV, and managed to get the e-mails working.  I thought I'd use the Windows SP2 Firewall for now, but first it wouldn't open because 'ICS is not enabled', then it still wouldn't open because of an 'unknown fault', or something like that.

I thought a solution might be ti re-install SP2, which I have on a CD, but when I tried to install it, it kept saying 'Access Denied' to one of the files.  I then uninstalled the existing SP2 in Add / Remove, and tried again to re-install it.  This time, it unzips all the files, but then does nothing else, and I can't get it to install.

Further, this machine is full of crap, and Spybot produces an 'error', to do with Win.ini - and it looks like there is something in German in there, which it cannot remove.  There is also something else that keeps coming back, but I'll have to get the details of that later.

Sorry for the vagueness, I was doing this up to 1am last night, and it's all a bit fuzzy this morning.  Any suggestions?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:SP2 Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:37 »
I assume that you have tried system restore and doing the usual scans in safe mode Simon  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:SP2 Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 16:27 »
Turned System Restore off to do the scans, San.   ;D  She (the owner) has agreed to a format and reinstallation of Windows, so that's much easier.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum