Technical Help & Discussion > Apple, Linux & Open Source Software: Help, News & Discussion

How to Guides: Linux Programs, Installing Linux and which distro

<< < (5/5)

sam:
 Have you ever wished you had another computer handy? Maybe you want to try a new operating system out. Maybe you want to test something experimental without potentially breaking your own system. Maybe you need to run some software that only runs in a different operating system

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization_on_mandriva_2007_spring

sam:

--- Quote --- The final version of Linux Mint 3.0 (codename Cassandra) burst onto the Linux scene today, based on Bianca and compatible with Ubuntu Feisty and its repositories.

Linux Mint is an elegant, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution based on the very popular Ubuntu distribution. It offers paid commercial support to companies and individuals. Free community support is also available from the forums and the IRC channel.
--- End quote ---

Read more here.

I have to say though that after looking at the distro I'm quite impressed it has that ubuntu feel but is graphically (by default) slightly nicer. It installs very easily, as it loads from a live cd (so you can always play around with os first). Its not but I still think it is probably not the best choice for a new user to linux, though it might not be far off it - as it is quite easy todo a multidue of things (but then again so is ubuntu, with a much larger community base).

sam:

--- Quote ---Damn Small Linux is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.

Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
    * Boot from a USB pen drive
    * Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
    * Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
    * Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
    * Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
    * Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
    * Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize
--- End quote ---

well worth a play with on an old system... my girlfriend actually runs this inside her windows installation - very useful for testing.

Find more at: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

sam:
I've used this recently and I decided that it was a fairly crap, well compared to ubuntu  - but it is fairly simple to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version