Technical Help & Discussion > Apple, Linux & Open Source Software: Help, News & Discussion

How to Guides: Linux Programs, Installing Linux and which distro

<< < (2/5) > >>

davy51:
its a great test
it recomended the two distributions ive been using

mandriva and suse

sam:
umm i bet it doesnt recommend debian / ubuntu / fedora to too many people ... and it hasnt too me, cause im being lazy but thats what i use

chorleydave:
Mandriva and MEPIS for me.

I have played with Mandrake in the past, but at the moment I'm messing about with Linspire on a spare machine.

sam:
Gnome Live CD - Gnoppix

After an OS that you can carry around with you? Probably not, but if you are one of those p**sed off people who use MS s**te and would love to give linux a go without having to get a second computer or chancing the possibly doomed dual boot then you could do well to give Gnoppix ago. I have used many different boot up distro's of linux and I have always like ubuntu... Gnoppix is based on Ubuntu.  Ubuntu is a complete Linux desktop and server operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.

Anyway if you wanna give it a go you can get it FREE at http://www.gnoppix.org/

And look, it even has that windows feel to it (i.e. no terminal, which is a shame in my opinion... but you can get it up nice and easily): http://www.gnoppix.org/images/screenshots/gnome212b1/firefox_106.png

sam:
Interesting article on what distribution to use... LINK

Of course, we can hapily offer you advice as you go along...

For anyone new though, I'd suggest you go with the whole boot from cd till you are happy with using linux... unless of course you have been around as long as clive and are quite comfortable with non graphical displays... not that linux is completely that but thats the power. If you can do small tasks without a mouse then you are probably ready for linux! :-) Though saying that you can easily use linux, these days, without ever doing that.

Also there is this nice little webpage that will take from some simple answers the distro which is for you... LINK

You can also take a look at the HUGE LWN Distributions List: LINK

DistributionWatch: Your Guide to Linux Distributions: LINK

Very interesting article about the best Linux distribution: LINK there is a rather interesting conversation if you follow the first link in the text, this the lengthy version of this, the shorter version.

Good description and general article on PCLinuxOS, seems good, I might give it a try. Take a look at this LINK (note: great installation instructions on their website: LINK)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version