Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A friend of mine got this piece of intrusive garbage  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
A friend of mine got this piece of intrusive garbage
« on: February 25, 2005, 23:43 »
PLEASE NOTE: I  WOULD NOT ADVISE GIVING THIS SITE "JACK SH*T" INFOMATION ABOUT YOURSELF. AS IT WILL HIJACK YOUR ADDRESS BOOK, AND PLANT SPYWARE ON YOUR PC.

It claims to be auto address updater, she recieved the exact same email as me, that was purporting to have been sent by her.  

Only she received hers from her French friend, and took it at face value. Of course once she connected to the site, and gave it access to her PC, it sent out the same email to everybody in her address book, without her knowling.

Hi

I'm updating my address book.  Please click on the link below and enter your contact info for me:

http://ringo.com/i?uid=5mLabEluH5GvGiAx&

I'm using a new, free service where I put in my contact info for you, you put in your contact info for me, and everyone stays up to date automatically.  It's surprisingly easy and useful.

Thanks for your help.

Lynn

Anybody else come accross this scam before ?
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 21:53 »
Hi Tony,

Yeah I've had this email as well from a friend, I texted her and she said she did send them out.

I have added my email to it (not registered though) - and am a bit worried now,  :?  

I haven't had any more emails from ringo.com yet. I already have 3 other email addresses of mine in my address book - and haven't had any emails sent to them..  When I did sign up initially it asked you to register as well and enter your address book - which I didn't.

Anyone shed any more light on this??

DJ

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 22:01 »
Had this mail as well, but had the presence of mind not to do anything with it as I had this person blocked on MSG..that was close then  :laugh:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 23:35 »
I had something similar to this but it wasn't ringo, could be the same thing tho?  Still I didn't do it.
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum