Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: yahoo account...problem with addresses  (Read 2530 times)

Offline sharon159

yahoo account...problem with addresses
« on: March 05, 2005, 21:40 »
Does anyone know anything about yahoo account? I use it mainly for everything. But...all of a sudden I cannot open I my address file when sending emails. When I click it on, the window starts to open, then closes right away. Now it is such a pain trying to send emails to more than one person..any thoughts out there on this, sure would appreciate it..

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 22:09 »
Hi Sharon, and  :welcome:

I assume you are using Yahoo webmail, and not with an email client such as Outlook Express?  It sounds like your address window is being blocked by a pop up stopper, possibly because, if you are using Windows XP, your PC has been updated to SP2, which installs a pop up stopper into Internet Explorer.  Next time you try to use Yahoo Mail, when you try to open the address window, see if a message appears at the top of the browser window, which may enable you to allow the pop up.

Come back to us, if I'm completely on the wrong track, with some more information about which version of Windows, and which browser you are using.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 22:44 »
Hi Sharon,

Here, (just to confirm), everything is normal. I have no problem with my Yahoo account.

Yes!  Seems that your problem is local.     :)
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 00:16 »
Hi Sharon and  :welcome:  The problem will be your firewall.  Trust me,  I know these things.   8)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 09:25 »
I would have thought that a firewall might have blocked the whole site, but not just the pop up address book.  Incidentally, it works fine on mine, using Firefox, Mozilla and IE, so you could be correct, Clive.   Hopefully Sharon will come back to us, so we can see who is right.   :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sharon159

here I am....
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 13:44 »
ok guys....here's the scoop. I am windows XP, I did install SP2. But...lately I had been having alot of problems with computer, constant popups, computer freezing up. Someone said they felt I had a virus, my Norton had expired too. So.....they recommended I install avast for antivirus program, which I did. I also installed panicware for the popups. What a difference both made on the computer, no problems with popups, or freezing up. But...my only problem now is my yahoo address book will not come up. :?  there was nothing that came up where I could enable it. So if anyone has any other suggestions, :idea:  I would appreciate it.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 13:58 »
Let me suggest that you try to use another computer to see if it opens or not. If it doesn't, then you probably need to contact Yahoo.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 13:59 »
The only thing I can think of is that one of the pop-up stoppers is preventing your address book from opening.  Why don't you disable or uninstall panicware pop-up stopper to see if that is the cause?  I'm sure it must be just a process of elimination.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 14:05 »
Oh !!!

I think, it should be probably the security center of SP2 which is blocking it.

OK !   ....

When you try to open it, do you notice a new temporary bar just under the address bar?

If yes, then click on it, and let it allow executing and displaying the blocked pop-up.

I hope the problem not more complicated than that.      8)

Offline sharon159

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 16:09 »
well I don't think it is SP2, as I installed that quite awhile ago, and had no problems with it than. But...what I think it could be is the panicware that I installed for popups, just did that a couple weeks ago. I will try to uninstall it, and see if that helps. If it does...then can you recommend  another popup stopper? Thanks :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 16:15 »
The one that came with SP2 is far better than panicware in my opinion, but if you want to avoid them altogether, you will have to change your browser.  Mozilla is very popular (lots of people on this forum use it) and it's easy to use.  You can import all your favourites from IE6 into it as well.  Certainly worth a look because it has a lot of interesting features such as tabbed browsing.  You can have both Mozilla and IE6 on your computer and switch between them.

Click the "Try Mozilla" in Simon's sig.

Offline sharon159

question Clive...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 16:22 »
OK...I know I have alot to learn here, but...what is IE6? I already have Mozella installed, and since I had installed SP2, why didn't it stop all the popups, and it kept freezing up on me? I did just read where panicware is not compatible with SP2, so I will uninstall it and see what happens after that.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 16:35 »
Sorry Sharon.  IE6 is Internet Explorer 6.0.  If you are already using Mozilla as your browser then you have 3 pop-up stoppers installed and that could possibly cause a conflict between them.  You definitely don't need the panicware one so you can uninstal it.  Tell me, on the Yahoo e-mail page, do you have the address book tab showing at all, or has the tab just completely disappeared?

Offline sharon159

Clive..
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 16:46 »
ok...I uninstalled panicware, and now my address book does work now. Whewww..took care of that, you have been a big help. From now on if I have a problem I'll just come back here and hopefully you can help me. There is one thing now that goes on only when I enter this website, a window pops saying "Internet ExplorerScript Error" an error occurred in script on this page , do you want to cintinue running scripts on this page, yes or no. So...what's this all about? When I click on yes, it keeps coming back up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 16:48 »
I second the above advice, Sharon.  Uninstall any third party pop up stoppers you have, as this is almost certainly the cause of your problem.  Mozilla has an excellent pop up stopper built in, and Internet Explorer also has one, now you have SP2, so you don't need another one.  If you are using Mozilla and it keeps crashing, try updating to the latest version, or give Firefox a go.  You'll find links to both in my sig.  If you come across a pop up in Mozilla you want to allow, just click Tools > Pop up Manager > Allow pop ups from this site.  You will then get a panel with the site name in it.  Just click Add and OK, and that should be that.  I would strongly recommend persevering with Mozilla, as it truly is an excellent browser.

Edit:- You beat me to it, Sharon!   :)   Does the script error also appear on this site if you use Mozilla?  I suspect this could be yet another html incompatability with Internet Explorer.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum