Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: User Permissions in XP  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
User Permissions in XP
« on: April 28, 2005, 21:12 »
I have been asked about user permissions in XP, which I have no real knowledge of, being a sole user myself.  The problem is that on my cousin's XP machine, only he, as Administrator, can access the Internet.  There are three other users, but they can only get Internet access by logging in as him (the Administrator).  How can he allow other users to access the Internet?  I have suggested looking into the user permissions, but he says there is nothing there to change.   :?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 22:31 »
umm i havent heard of windows doing this before... someone who has better knowledge of xp etc might have though. I do have one suggestion - firewall software. could be setup to block other users? gosh i looked at the user permissions for xp.. nothing in comparison to linux!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 22:32 »
I think you can do this with "files and settings transfer wizard"

It says something on this video about transfering rights to the other user accounts about half way through, interesting video actually, for us new XP users. :lol:

link didn't work try this

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/40140/Windows_XP_User_Accounts_and_Permissions.html
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 23:10 »
I think thats probably for other network users on the same LAN Michelle, not user accounts on the same pc.
I havent had much to do with multiple users accounts either.
I cant see anything about users not having internet access on my version but mines XP pro so it may be different to XP home  :?

The only thing I can think of is that the modems not installed/accessable on the user accounts or as Sam says its a firewall setting.
Easy way to check, disable the firewall temporarily and see if it connects ok  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 23:42 »
it does show you on the video that you can use it for other users on your pc too. not sure its what needs to be done but it looks good to me.

:?  :D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 23:48 »
Ah I see what you mean now Michelle  :)

The files and settings transfer wizard would possibly resolve the problem then if its not got the modem installed on each user account  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 23:52 »
Simon,

tell him to go into Settings > Control > User Accounts.....he can alter their pemissions in there....like make em all Administrators if he wants.

If its only internet access they are struggling with, when I bring up my ADSL connection, it gives you a tick box option of ....Me only ....or Any User.....tell him to tick Any User

Edit: IthinkI need a new keyboard .....as my spacer bar is acting up...hence all the joined upwords....bugger its only about five years old  :roll:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 07:46 »
Quote from: "Tony"
If its only internet access they are struggling with, when I bring up my ADSL connection, it gives you a tick box option of ....Me only ....or Any User.....tell him to tick Any User

Thanks, I'll mention that.

Also, if you're getting a new keyboard - for chrissake get the Moz / Firefox spellchecker!!   :roll:  :twisted:

Quote from: "Sandra"
The files and settings transfer wizard would possibly resolve the problem then if its not got the modem installed on each user account  :)

Thanks, Sandra, I'll mention that too.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
User Permissions in XP
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:02 »
Quote from: "Simon"

Also, if you're getting a new keyboard - for chrissake get the Moz / Firefox spellchecker!!   :roll:  :twisted:

nesting testing knee t woo threes........cheers Bro thats a lot better ..........I just love these multiple choice add ons  :laugh:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum