Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Recording to computer  (Read 3001 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Recording to computer
« on: April 19, 2005, 14:33 »
I've hooked up a tape deck to my computer so that it'll play through the computer speakers.  What I'd like to do is record the tapes to the computer.  How should I go about that?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Recording to computer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 14:44 »
Theres a couple of ways to do that Gill.
You can use software such as Goldwave or similar that allows you to save it as a wav or mp3 file or possibly other formats or convert them and edit them.
The easiest way however is to use the built in recording software that windows has.
Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment then select Sound Recorder.
That will record your tapes as a wav file which you can save to your hard drive then convert to another format with a music editing program such as mentioned earlier  :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Recording to computer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 18:35 »
Thanks for the help, Sandra.  As you know, I'm not familiar with Goldwave but it seems to be a smashing program and I'm looking forward to using it ;) :).

Recording through the windows sound recorder is a bit limiting because it will only let you record 60 seconds at a time.  Is there any way around this?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Recording to computer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 18:41 »
Ahhhh..... disregard my previous message!  I think I've just sussed it  :) .

Wow, that Goldwave really is rather cool  8) .

Gill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Recording to computer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 19:51 »
Glad you liked it Gill, for such a small program it packs a lot of options into it.
I used to use it a lot to chop songs and sound clips for adding to sigs and such.
It takes a bit of sussing out to get the most out of it but for things like the sounds in sigs its invaluable as you can drop the quality quite a lot to reduce the file size, without it affecting the sigs sound too much  :)

I last used it a few weeks back to add to the flash intro I helped a friend make for his business website, hope you like the music if you listen to it, I put a rather nice fade out at the end  :)

http://www.cut-it-out.co.uk/

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Recording to computer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 20:17 »
How did you guess I'd like that music?  Actually, the whole intro file is very impressive - it must have taken you ages to make.

His Lordship cleared out the loft earlier this week and he uncovered loads of audio tapes from my past.  It'll be great fun converting them to mp3 and preserving them for the future.  Some of the recordings are of old radio broadcasts that I remember very fondly.

Thanks ever so much for all your help, Sandra.

Gill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Recording to computer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 20:44 »
Actually it was a very easy to use program called "Trendy Flash Intro Builder" that once we figured out how it worked and had some idea of the pictures we wanted to use and the text it was less than 30 minutes for the main intro.
Most of the graphics and animations were in the programs standard template.
It then took me about 10 minutes to edit and fade the song and add it and upload to the webspace.
Unfortunately the timing of the music when played on my pc was slightly diferent to when played on the website for some reason, so I should really re edit it and add another 4 or 5 seconds to it but it seemed ok ending at that point with the fading out part  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Recording to computer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 23:42 »
That's very impressive, Sandra.  :hatoff:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum