Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ASP and Coldfusion  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Biglad

ASP and Coldfusion
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:57 »
Hi All,

I have been asked to investigate any reasons why ASP scripts are not running on our Windows 2000 Server.

Up until recently we only used coldfusion for our web based databases. I am not aware of the specifics and it is not really my area of expertise. I have been asked by my boss who is now on sick leave to find out any possible reasons why there is a problem.

I am unaware if we are using ASP within a coldfusion page or just using ASP on its own.

If you could point me to any forums or pages of information. I would be greatful.

Many thanks
Craig.
hank you all.

Offline sam

• Administrator
ASP and Coldfusion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:37 »
im not entirely sure what you are saying here.

you suggested that you are using coldfusion for the databases and then you state that you are not sure if you are using coldfusion or asp on its own?? Are you not just using asp pages with the appropriate connections to a database via coldfusion? From what I know you normally use either ASP or PHP or coldfusion not all together but I could be wrong.

Do you know what type of database you are using as the cause could just be that the database has gone down.

For now here are a few links with info about both.

Basic ASP info (not sure what you know about it so I thought this might be a good starting point): [MSDN]

and coldfusion: [MACROMEDIA]
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Biglad

ASP and Coldfusion response
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:26 »
Hello,

The database i believe is SQL or access. I dont have any more information than that.

What i do know is that until recently we were using coldfusion to produce the front end and link to the database.

We have recently tried to use ASP to create the links to the database.

I must admit i may have been a little confusing in what i was saying. My boss is wondering if there are any issues that relate to running coldfusion and ASP on the same server for different databases.

In my searches so far i think this may have something to do with enabling services in IIS6.0.

Thank you for the links i shall view them shortly.

Thank you for your help.
Craig.
hank you all.

Offline sam

• Administrator
ASP and Coldfusion
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:45 »
the links probably arent that much help to you, now that i know what is going on. They will however give you a nice overview of asp / coldfusion - which will be handy in your quest!

I personally dont run either asp or coldfusion so my experience is limited. I just go for the free unix / php solutions.

There could well be some problem though with using both, epsecially with if their are any shared configurations which relate to the database.

Can I ask why you are swaping from coldfusion to asp? Actually something that might be benefical for you todo, if you can, is setup your site with asp on another server (without coldfusion installed) and then if this works at least you know your asp scripts are working fine and then surely there is a problem with the combination of the two....
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Biglad

ASP ColdFusion and running scripts
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:05 »
Sam,

Thank you for the response. Up until august last year the development team here consisted of 1 person that is when i joined.

I work mainly on Access databases with a view to producing more SQL databases. We have 1 main SQL database and it has a Coldfusion front end. As more work is coming in it is a bad thing to have just 1 person knowing coldfusion and as far as developing a more easily supported system ASP looks like a way to move forward.

I can certainly ask the question but i have no access to physically set items up on the server. (My boss has to do this).

I shall endeavor in my search.

Thank you.
Craig.
hank you all.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum