Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Private Messages  (Read 3526 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Private Messages
« on: June 10, 2005, 13:09 »
I'm sure many of you will already be aware of this and looking to address the situation, but there are problems with the private messaging system.  I normally get a pop-up window to tell me of any PMs but this doesn't seem to working at present, despite having the relevant button switched on in my profile.  I know other members have experienced issues with sending messages, although this hasn't affected me.

I just thought I'd mention it for the sake of those who haven't yet spotted this problem.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Private Messages
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 13:11 »
Do you have  a pop-up blocker enabled on your browser?

Just a thought :D

DJ

Offline sam

• Administrator
Private Messages
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 14:16 »
the pm system does work, though it seems to have a few problem with the popup, on the old system we had a css version which might be better. Both I and Simon have been working on this, thanks for bringing it up though. We will do our best to get it resolved quickly - but it could be as simple as a pop up blocker on your own machine (as it does work on some machines).
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 14:22 »
it might also be an idea to turn on the email feature...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Private Messages
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 14:50 »
Quote from: "sam"
it might also be an idea to turn on the email feature...

Yes, a more reliable way to be notified of PMs is to use the e-mail option, which is pretty fail safe.  The pop ups don't work for me either.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Private Messages
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 15:35 »
The built in popup stopper of SP2 tells me its blocked a popup and to click the warning to show it.
As I know that it refers to a PM then I dont bother and just go to my messages and read them.
Maybe its doing that on yours too Gill and youre not noticing it as its the sound that alerts me to it more than the actual warning that appears under the toolbars, although thats using IE, maybe Mozillas stopper works in a different way  :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Private Messages
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 16:22 »
I don't even get a 'blocked pop up' noise on mine, which I do usually with Mozilla or Firefox.

There might be some info on the phpbb forums, but I haven't time to look until this evening.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Private Messages
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 18:50 »
I have noticed that the popup isn't working, probably because I have Opera set to block all unrequested popups.  However, I had a PM the other day and was notified by means of a one-line notification which, if I remember correctly, was at the top left of the Home Page after I had logged in and said "You have one new private message" - or similar.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Private Messages
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 18:52 »
Actually, it is visible now, directly under Home and Memberlist in the menu tabs.  Mine says "You have no new messages".

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Private Messages
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 18:55 »
Yes, that works, and has always been there, Dave, but I think people want something a little more noticeable.  As Sam said, we are continuing to look for a solution to this.  

I did wonder if it could have been Firewall settings?  Norton has a pop up blocker, and I have just configured mine to allow pop ups from pc-pals.com.  All I need now is for someone to send me a PM!  ;)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Private Messages
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 19:00 »
Simon, I've sent a PM.  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Private Messages
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 19:05 »
Thanks Dave, and it bloody worked!!  :banana:

Well, that kind of proves that it's pop up blockers which are blocking the PMs pop ups.  Can I suggest everyone who is having problems, check their Firewalls for pop up or ad blocking, and add pc-pals.com to the 'safe' list?  This certainly seems to have worked with Norton, and I know a hell of a lot of people use it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum