Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: wireless networking issues  (Read 1381 times)

Offline jaxx

wireless networking issues
« on: July 12, 2005, 20:03 »
I have not got my new wireless networked installed... and my mac and pc work great on it. However the D-LINK DSL-904 Wireless ADSL Modem Router only came with one USB dongle... so i thought i would use that on the pc and use my Airport Extreme card on my Mac.

However i have yet managed to get the mac to "talk"/ connect to the wireless network... it cant seem to find the network, and to be honest i dont have a clue what to do!

any suggestions guys?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:41 »
I assume that you made a typo and it should have said "I have now got my new wireless network installed"

Can you explain what is and what exactly isnt working please as it sounds as if you can share files from the PC to the Mac wirelessly but not connect wirelessly to the net from the Mac   :?

Is the Mac showing that the cards getting the signal ok or are you not even getting that ?

I usually start of with Wi Fi without enabling the encryption until its set up and working ok then enable the WEP afterwards.

Also disable the Macs firewall temporarily to see if thats stopping it.

Offline jaxx

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 21:57 »
sorry about that previous post - i will blame it on the hot weather  :D

UPDATE

Ok, i have now managed to get the Aiport Express Card on my IBook G4 Mac to connect to the wireless network... HOWEVER it says the signal level is very, very poor and using the internet is worse than dial up!!!  (Also i best point out i am sat next to the wireless router... so the signal should be 100%!!)

Any ideas why the signal is seen as so poor using an aiport express card yet using the dlink dongle its 100%??

I realise you are PC PALS and not MAC PALS but any advice would be great!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 22:12 »
Hi Jaxx, I've found this for you which may be of use.  I have to say that normally Airport works very well.

Setting up AirPort Express with Windows XP
Initial setup from a MAC or by wire connection Note: When iTunes switches to AirPort Express, firewall must be OFF

If you have not already done so, install the most recent Firmware V6.1.1

plug in with a network cable attached. The Light will flash - green - yellow - flashing yellow - then green again.
load AirPort Admin Utility. AirPort Assistant will not reliably work with Windows XP
The Base station should appear. Select the base station, press configure
enter the password (default is guest). If the password is not available, then press and hold the rest button for 15 seconds to rest to the factory default settings and restart from #1.
AirPort tab:
leave then name unchanged
enter a password
wireless mode - join existing wireless network (wireless client)
enter your network name (obtained from your router)
wireless security - 128-bit WEP
enter a password, exactly 13 characters for 128-bit WEP
Internet tab:
connect using wireless network
configure manually. The addressess should appear automatically, but if they do not then enter the numbers obtained from your router (these are mine).
ip address 192.168.0.103
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
router address 192.168.0.1
The other tabs are all blank
Music Tab:
enable AirTunes on this base station
no enable AirTunes over Ethernet
enter a speaker name (TV Room)
press update.
The lights will again flash yellow í flashing yellow í then green. The unit will disappear from the Admin Utility screen for several minutes, and you might have to exit it and re-enter it to make it re-appear.
Disconnect the network cable.
You may now plug the AirPort Express into an outlet near the stereo. Do not try to connect until the green light is on.
Remember that when iTunes switches to the AirPort Express that the firewall must be turned OFF or it will not connect. The firewall be be turned back on after AirPort has connected.

There is yet more here:  LINK

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:31 »
Sorry for the delay in replying I did look earlier for info on your D Link setup but couldnt find what I wanted and then I looked at the AirPort Express site and got distracted for a few hours on the phone before I could get back to my pc  :(

I dont think that the bit you found is relevant unfortunately Clive, as hes not using the card with Windows XP, I thnk hes using it on a Mac OS to connect to the net via the D-Link router.

The site I was on seemed to be saying that unless it was used with an Airport base station it would run slower but it should still be faster than dial up.
I wil have alook at that site again if I can find it and see if I can get any useable information from it.

I wonder if its something to do with the router having WEP and the Airport having WPA for security.

I assume that the card came with the laptop and that you havent used it on another non Airport or Mac previously ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 02:57 »
One cause of poor signal strength/performance appears to be that the wires not fully pushed in, see this page :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108039

Offline jaxx

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 13:36 »
wow,  you guys are really really helpful!!

thanks so much!

I have just returned all the wireless kit as it was below the standard i was looking for.

I am going to research alot more before i decide what move to make next.

Do and of you guys have a wireless set up? if so what products do you use?

many thanks again!!!!  :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 13:45 »
I use a wireless adsl/modem router which is Conexant based but as it came from Ebuyer was only named as AWR51-2.
Its 4 ethernet ports plus the old wi fi standard of only 11mbs.
I only rarely use the wi fi part for a couple of old laptops using a MSI pcmcia card but havent had any problems.

I have helped setup a few wireless networks up over the last couple of years and provided that they werent using a USB wi fi access point, most seemed to be straightforward enough.

If money is not the main consideration then Netgear seem to be one of the better ones that I have heard of but most seem to be ok  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum