Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: website access problems  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 23:48 »
As Simon says a software firewall, in your case XPs built in one, is independant of the routers firewall.
So if your son has one on his pc that wont affect your pc and vice versa.
IE uses port 80 for HTTP which is usually open by default on a routers firewall and XPs built in one.

Try temporarily disabling XPs firewall as Clive explained, you only need to do it on your own pc for now though, see if you can connect.
If it still wont connect re enable it again.

If that hasnt worked then in case there is something in your settings that has restricted access to that particular site then in Internet Explorer go to Tools, then Inetrnet Options then Security then click on the icon for Trusted Sites then on Sites and add :

www.rmcangling.co.uk

In the Add this website box and then click ok.

Try and connect to the site after that and let us know if thats worked or not.

The following is not relevant to your current problem but is a brief explanation of what a network and a router is for and does for your own and any others interest  :)

Having 2, or more, pcs on a network ( a "local area network" which is what you and your son share is called a LAN) using a router only means that either one can connect independantly of the other to the net.
I will leave the file and printer sharing side out of it at this time.
Most routers have some form of NAT enabled firewall which protects all the PCs on the LAN.

Usually you can configure the NAT of the router through its control panel from any pc on the LAN by typing its IP address in internet explorer and entering the administrator username and password to log on with.

Once logged in then you can open various ports for each PC on the LAN that requires it for different applications by telling it which port or range of ports to open for which PC by using that particular PCs IP address.
As I said earlier, IE uses port 80 for HTTP and this is open by default to all PCs on the LAN.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 01:02 »
If none of the earlier stuff works then I have found this on a site :

1.  Click start then click on Run.
  2. Type in regedit
  3.  In the pop up program  go to Edit
  4.  click on Find, and type in    www.rmcangling.co.uk
  5.  Click on find next.  
  6.  If it finds your URL listed it will stop at that point.
  7.  once again go to edit and click on Modify
  8.  It will bring up another box window and you
        can back out the URL.  
  9.  click o.k.  and it will ask you are you sure.?
        well, duh.... I just asked you to .
10.  click find next and it will go on its merry way.
        until it finishes searching the registry.

That is how I  fixed the problem.  It seems to have something to do with antivirus, Zone Alarm or IE security. If the site does not load correctly a few times then it gets restricted.  I have no idea why and how just that it does.  
This actually is not a networking issue it is a software issue and with IE.  Microsoft.  It may be that a kind Tech support at Microsoft IE can explain it all better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully one of the other soultions will have fixed it though as editing the registry is a last resort  :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 01:44 »
My reuter had it's own firewall but there was never an icon showing in taskbar although it was active.

I disabled windows firewall and didn't have a problem after doing that.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 01:51 »
Routers dont actually show anywhere on a PC as theyre like a small PC themselves.
They act similarly to a server and just allow the PCs on the LAN to connect to each other for file sharing and share the internet ( Wide Area Connection or WAN ) between them  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
website access problems
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 07:01 »
Is there no configuration UI for routers, Sandra?  Do they not even appear in the Control Panel, or in Network Connections?  :?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 13:20 »
The only interface is through its IP address in the web browser Simon.
Thats the advantage of a router as once its set up its independant of your pc so even if you have to format your pc you never have to re install the router or put your ISP connection details in again, like you do with a modem.
Its just a case of plugging the ethernet cable into your pc and switching the router on and youre connected  :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 17:19 »
hi sandra, i have tried all the suggestions given so far like turning off the windows firewall and trying the site, i've also been through the last procedure you suggested and sorry but i got a little stuck on item no 8, what do you actually mean by back out the URL ?  
thanks again keith.
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 20:38 »
I think it means that you can backspace the highlighted URL to remove it Keith, its not a term I would have used but thats all I can think of in this context  :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 07:32 »
it's still not working for me i'm afraid
 :cry:  :cry:
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 07:43 »
Do you know how to clear your cache and cookies, KRO?  In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options, then on the General tab, click Delete Cookies, OK, then Delete Files, OK.  Also tick the box to delete offline content.  It might just help.  

Failing that, it might be worth trying another browser, such as Firefox.  You can find a link to Firefox in my sig.  Set up is very easy, and it will import all your IE settings.  Make sure you have cleared the cache and cookies in IE before installing Firefox, or you may import the same problem, if indeed, that is the problem.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 17:36 »
hi simon, yes i know what you mean by clearing my cache and is something that i actually do on a regular basis, i have allways been of the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that it can slow things down considerably if not cleared.
if i change my browser will this change things very much from what they are now, (change can be a bit dodgy for us old uns) as i'm pretty used to things as they stand ?
cheers keith. :?  :?

ps simon, if i download firefox which one do i use 1.0.4 or 1.0.5
thanks
cheers kro.....

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
website access problems
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 17:55 »
As I posted earlier in this thread, a family member quite simply cannot access one particular share dealing site using Internet Explorer, but it loads instantly in Firefox and Opera.

Firefox 1.05 was only released yesterday, but as it's the latest version you might as well get it.  As it is still part of the 1.** series it won't have many changes from 1.04, except it will shut some vunerabilities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 18:03 »
Keith, a browser is a browser, is a browser, in principal.  Firefox won't change any of your other settings.  It's just a different interface from which to use the Internet.  As I said previously, it will import all your IE settings and favourites, so there is no initial setting up to worry about.  Just install and off you go.  It is also highly versitile, so once you have it installed, we can point you in the direction of one or two 'extras' which can be installed, to give additional functionality.  We also have several experienced users here, so any problems you have, we should easily be able to sort out.  You have nothing at all to lose by trying it out.  :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 18:11 »
thanks simon and dave, i will give it a try.
 8)
cheers kro.....

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 23:01 »
well i successfully installed firefox and it got me onto several websites that i tried but not rmcangling, any other suggestions please.
 :cry:  :cry:
cheers kro.....

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum