Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ASP.net Host and MSAccess  (Read 4208 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
ASP.net Host and MSAccess
« on: July 10, 2005, 18:00 »
Hi All,

I am looking to find a host that supports ASP.net and MSAccess databases and is reasonably low price.

Ideally the host will be on a monthly contract as I will only need it for 3 or so months whilst carrying out this project.

Any ideas or recommendations??

Thanks

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 18:55 »
We use WEBFUSION, whish is part of Pipex, DJ.  They support ASP, but I can find no mention of MS Access - do some hosts not support this?  Anyway, they do offer monthly packages, so they might be worth investigating, to see if they meet your needs.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 21:07 »
Thanks Simon, I have sent them an enquiry.

Will let you all know what they say.

DJ

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 21:59 »
you will probably need a host that has MS SQL on, i think this supports access but im not entirely sure. how come you are going down the windows (asp) server route?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:55 »
Hi

Its for a MSc project and thats the clients requirements. The access database is going to be 'dumb' - just containg tables (the queries will be in the VB and ASP.net code). So at a later date conversion to MySQL shouldn't be a problem.

Just signed up for a trial with http://www.jodohost.com - I'll see how I get on with them.

DJ

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 21:13 »
if its for an msc project then surely your university will be able to provide you with the specific server requirements? if not then thats not good on the part of the uni!!

On a personal feeling I wish Unis would stop promoting microsoft all the time. Like schools, eventually we will not be able to work in a society without microsoft technology. A very bad thing. Nice social engineering Mr Gates.

I gave a task to a student the other week (gcse student), it involved using open office but not having an experience with any non microsoft technology made extra work for me (not that i particularly minded), argh. I wish the teaching was like ours, here is dos (we dont know much) - do something! :-)

BTW Microsoft do some good stuff - for one they have provided database design for the largest astronomical observation campaign (computerised) ever undertaken, the Sloan Digital Sky Servey. So well done on that part.

Oh back to the post (sorry for rant) - good luck DJ!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 21:23 »
Yes I know Uni should be paying, but their current host only supports ASP not ASP.net and since its not a computer science based project (its a managment one) they won't upgrade just for me.

I wanted to use PHP and MySQL but as I already had knowledge on these, they wanted me to learn something new (how kind!!).

jodohost looks promising, after signing up for a trial account they called me to veryify me and then set up the account.

Will keep you posted - only 14 weeks until deadline!!

DJ

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 21:27 »
I wanted to use PHP and MySQL but as I already had knowledge on these, they wanted me to learn something new (how kind!!).

why did you tell them!!!  :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 21:36 »
They know everything!! They have ways of finding out!!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum