Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Converting a PNG to a JPEG - Can it be done better?  (Read 2046 times)

-Minter-

Converting a PNG to a JPEG - Can it be done better?
« on: August 27, 2005, 13:02 »
Hi,

I create a lot of graphics stuff using Macromedia FireworksMX 2004 & it is always saved as a PNG file with no option in the program to change to a JPEG. I like to get a good quality result so set any fireworks design to 300 or 600 dpi depending on how large it will be.

The problem is when I want to upload an image on to photobucket, for example for use as a sig for a forum where they have rules like..... no larger than 100x400 pixels and for a maximum of 60Kb & must be in a JPEG format.

Obviously even at a size of 100x400 pixels most are way over 60kb. What I've been doing up to now is opening them again in MS Paint & changing the format to JPEG in there, but I loose so much quality & it looks poor on me. Look at my sig here for example, it looks really pixelated [sp?]. I was thinking it may be "paint" as it's such an old & basic program?

Is there a way around this to bring the quality back up to how I produced it in Fireworks but havign the design in a JPEG format?

Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 13:27 »
Idont know if it would do any better but I use Paintshop Pro and that has a lot more features than MS Paint has, including a JPEG Optimizer which may improve your results while maintaining the smaller file size  :)

-Minter-

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 13:44 »
Which is the best version of PS to have? I've had a look in PC World (not that I'd buy it form there) & there seems to be a lot of PS.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 13:48 »
I use PSP 7 but I believe 8 has some extra features.
I am not sure about any later versions.
I ran your pic through PSP 7 and used the JPEG optimizer and emailed it you so you can see what you think of it.
Obviously it wont improve on what you start off with but as you can see its reduced the file size without droping the quality so it should do a good conversion of the original .PNG file  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 13:59 »
Tha latest PSP is 9, although I still use version 8.  I couldn't see much wrong with the image you posted, apart from I don't fancy your bird much!  :D ;)  Maybe you could post the .png on here as well, so we can see the difference?  I've only just discovered .png myself, through uploading some wallpapers to my new phone, but I have to admit, I can't really see much difference between .png and .jpeg images, so maybe PSP is the answer?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

-Minter-

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 14:27 »
@ Sandra... Got your email, thanks! What I think needs to be tried is the original PNG file changed in PS, as opposed to the one you see in my sig which I've already fettled with in paint to make a jpeg.

@ Simon.... Whats wrong with my bird?  :laugh:

I've just tried to upload the original png. file onto photobucket (PB) to show you guys but because it's such a big file PB reduce it automaticly & thus the actual size of the pic.

If you look at the text "minter" in the bottom right-hand of my sig you'll notice it's kind of blurred. It's mainly that sort of thing I'm thing to improve. Maybe I just need to get a copy of PS :blush:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 15:32 »
Send the original .png to me by email and I will run it through PSP and send it back so you can see how it compares with the original  :)

-Minter-

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 20:00 »
@ Sandra

I'm having a few problems replying to your email. I tried several times now but it must be a yahoo! problem.

Anyway, all went well - thanks for you help :wink:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 22:02 »
Pleased to hear it, hope its not too hard to learn the bits you need  :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 15:19 »
For free programs I'd suggest using IrfanView I use this for all my low level graphical work and in fact for most web stuff. You will probably need the plugins but it is such a simple and useful program.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline thegallery

sig looks ok
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 15:51 »
Maybe you changed your signature since starting the post? But I got to say, I can read "minter" quite clearly for such small text in an image. Could it be that the browser you are using is compressing your graphics to 256 colors? This is common in AOL and easy to change in the settings.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum