Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Easiest Cheapest Way to Network ?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Easiest Cheapest Way to Network ?
« on: February 01, 2003, 17:10 »
Has anyone used one of these? I have seen them elsewhere called USB Dongle ( Hopethe swear filter allows that word  ;) )
It makes networking sound to easy and too cheap.

Description:   USB TO USB NETWORK CABLE  
Product Code:   499-00975

with the usb to usb network cable you can set up a network in no time between 2 computers (up to a max.of 17 computers)  
  via this network you can exchange files, share peripheral equipment such as a printer, a hard disk and internet access and play multi-player network games  
  usb 1.1 compatible  
  12 mbps data transfer rate  
  suitable for windows 98/2000/me/xp  
  total length of exteneded cable is 3m (10ft)  

Single Unit Price:   £17.45
Special Offer Price:   £15.75

Its available here :

www.ardelectronics.com    code no. 499-00975

Adept

Re:Easiest Cheapest Way to Network ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 17:55 »
At that kind of price Sandra, you'd be better off getting a couple of 10/100 network cards (about £14+VAT for the pair) and a length of crossover Cat5e cable (between £2 and £10+VAT depending on length).

This way you'll get a nice fast 100Mbps network rather than the measly 12Mbps you'll get with USB.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 18:10 »
I was just thinking it would be easier,(if it worked,albeit it a little slow),for people unhappy about poking around inside their PCs and if you had other PCs coming around,(as I do from time to time),needing data from my PC which often dont have a network card in them.
Just recently I have had a couple of occassions where I have wanted to install programs or a few odd files on to another PC and have had to put them on floppies or write a cd just for a few MBs  :(
Also people seem to have problems getting traditional networking to work so I thought that this may work ok for networking dummies like me  :-*

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 18:16 »
:yoops:

Good point Sandra :P I'm so used to just shoving a network card into a machine that I need to connect to, that I've forgotten how daunting it can be to someone who hasn't done it before  :-[

For occasional data transfer it sounds ideal :)

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 19:46 »
Sounds like it could be useful for people with laptops too, who don't have network cards built in, for transfering files to a main PC.

I know someone who this will be ideal for.
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum