Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: dun  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
dun
« on: February 04, 2003, 17:29 »
how do you save your password in your dun box so that when u click connect you don't have to insert your password every time. my save password box is grayed out.
i know it's simple but hey so am i  :doh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:dun
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 17:33 »
Its so long since I have used dial up I am not sure now Camstop.Is it not in the properties as an option?

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 17:48 »
can't find it sandra.
this happened the last time and it's just a box to check but i can't find it. :o
sandra
the products from that site i told u about were excellent, thats why i've not been around for a day or two
and i've had to format my c drive because i tried to upgrade my video card with the wrong driver  :doh:
anyway
another problem for u
got some games on partition d of my h/d
when i formated part c, i lost the links to play my games. whats the best way to be able to play them again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 17:49 »
I haven't used it for ages either, not since getting Broadband (quick gloat!), but I think if you go into (in IE) Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings, you can fill in the password box there.  Next time you dial up, the password should already be filled in, and the tick box available, but if not, if you cancel the dial up, the greyed out boxes should ungrey, and you should be able to tick the 'Save Password' box.  Notice, however, the word 'should' appears in abundance in this reply!   ;) ;D ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 18:05 »
no luck

i guess u guys with adsl must just be on a higher plane.

:brick:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 18:31 »
Camstop, this might help:

http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/savepw/
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 18:43 »

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 19:53 »

sandra
the products from that site i told u about were excellent

another problem for u
got some games on partition d of my h/d
when i formated part c, i lost the links to play my games. whats the best way to be able to play them again.

I can see what has been keeping you busy Camstop,it is a big site to get through  :)

Ok hopefully Adepts links will have sorted your password problem out,so onto your second problem.
Even though your games are on a partition that you havent deleted the part of windows (the registry),which knows where they are was on your C drive which unfortunately has now been formatted so it cant find them anymore.
The only solution is to reinstall the games again  :(

When you reinstall them again you could have the folder where it saves the games to on your D drive so if you ever have to format C again you would still have to reinstall the games but you would have your saved games in the original folder so as long as you told it that was where to save them to you could carry on from where you left off  :-*

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 11:01 »
Hi all
Opened the links, followed the instructions and hey presto no luck, but i am sure it's a network related problem and i'll have another look later.
            :thanks:

Sandra
Got a bit inpatient yesterday and missed ur last post. I just installed the games back on D drive in different folders.
my problem now is, how do i get rid of the folders with defunct games as they are taking a lot of room on my D drive.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 13:20 »
Hi

I had the same problem with a Win98 machine.  You need to search and rename a file ending in pwl (search for *.pwl).  When found rename it (better than deleting it!).

Re-Boot your machine.  The pwl file contains a list of passwords for the computer to remember (when you click save password).  Load DUN and enter password, the grey box should be ok now to tick

Good Luck ! - if this doesn't work you might have a corrupt DUN - so uninstall and install from control panel might do the trick

DJ1UK

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 15:28 »
Just go to START,FIND FILES or FOLDERS, then put thename of the game in that you want to delete the folder for.This should give you a list of all related files everywhere on all your drives.Look for the location of the folders where the games are saved to and then go to that location and just delete in the normal way.
Repeat the procedure for the other games :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 14:40 »
Cam, I might have come across an answer for you.  This is taken from PC Advisor magazine:

Q. "For some reason my computer won't remember my password for my ISP.  Before, when I clicked on the icon, my computer would automatically dial up and connect.  Now it asks for my password every time, and the 'Remember password' option is grayed out."

A. "It sounds as if a key in your registry has become corrupted.  You can easily put things back to normal, but be aware that amending the registry settings can have serious consequences if you are not careful.  Before starting this fix, you should back up the registry, so you can put things back the way they were if necessary.

Do this by going to Start > Run, type regedit and click OK.  Go to File > Export, and choose to save the back up on your desktop.  Once this has happened, navigate through the registry explorer tree to:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net

If you see the autologon (on the right hand side) with a value of 00, double click on it and replace the value with 01 00 00 00 00.

Now restart your computer, and you should be able to save your dial up password."

As I said, the above was lifted straight from a magazine article.  I can't guarantee it's success, but I thought it might be worth a try for you.

Adept

Re:dun WARNING!!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2003, 15:57 »
Don't forget that if you are going to be playing around with the registry file, make a backup first and be very, very careful because you could change a setting that could stop your PC from working correctly.

Microsoft has published guides to backing up the registry for the various flavours of Windows, the Windows 9x version can be found here. It also contains links to the instructions for other versions of Windows.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 11:45 »
Eurika.... ;D ;D ;D

After trying all the other advice and to no avail .....simon has solved my password problem..i'd almost given up in solving it until the next format... :welldone: simon...

Adept

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 19:06 »
:believe: :kid: :rock: Simon!  :o

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum