Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows ME upgrade to XP or change to Linux  (Read 4217 times)

Offline JK

Windows ME upgrade to XP or change to Linux
« on: March 10, 2006, 23:14 »
Hi
I am running Windows ME at present. Soon I will be forced to upgrade to XP. The Microsoft upgrade advisor lists so many changes that I doubt that I will not even be able to connect to the net after the upgrade. Is there anyway that I could take the Linux path and retain and use my Windows
software.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 23:33 »
ummm.. .depends what software you have in mind. There are many alternatives out there. Also it very much depends on your level of computing expertise. Saying that though, Linspire can offer a good nonwindows, low technical understanding, alternative.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 22:30 »
I've just upgraded to xp from Win Me on my son's PC and found no problems whatsoever.

Internet connection worked fine after upgrade.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline JK

Hi Lona
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 23:06 »
Thank you for your kind reply.
I presume you ment Me to XP. I ran the windows update advisor, after seeing the results, I was upset. Cannot even connect to the net after an upgrade. I also feel that the pricing of the windows operating system is now over the top. Microsoft products are now overpriced.
I am being forced to upgrade as Microsoft is pulling the  plug on Windows ME in July. That is why I would seek advice on changing over to Linux.
No bloated fat upgrade price from Microsoft. £100 pounds for a operating system? The more you sell the cheaper it is unless you are Microsoft.
I think I have had enought of Windows.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 13:47 »
...welcome to Linux then... give one of the boot from cd ones ago - I can give links. They are far from the best linux distros but give you an idea without having to wipe winblows.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline JK

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 22:27 »
Hi Sam
I have found SUSE 9.1 at a very atractive price. Would this be a good starting point?, it inculdes a try out cd and all the books.
 :?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 00:11 »
SUSE is a very good, windows looking, Linux distribution. It works nicely when windows is dual partitioned so probably yes, however, make sure that it is a version that allows you to compile software - some of the free versions around that version didn't. By books which ones do you mean? I still suggest that you should start with one that doesn't involve having to install the OS, just till you get used to it. Also there are some good distributions out there, such as Fedora, which are windows esq and free. Saying this, SUSE is good and would not be a bad place to start.

If anyone is interested here is the offical SUSE webpage: LINK
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Ne Hardware time?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 19:01 »
What is your hardware like? I upgraded a Packard Bell with a 1000MHz PIII and 512MB of RAM successfully. I had to buy a new modem though.

Clean installing XP is a better bet than upgrading ME as you can then re-partition and format to NTFS from scratch which is better than converting FAT32 volumes.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum