Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Removing Linux  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Removing Linux
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:09 »
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but it involves linux so i thought it might work...

So... currently my laptop is dual-booting Mandriva and XP, but since I barely ever use Mandriva I wanted to get rid of it. This would free up 30gb of space. I was wondering if I can just delete the linux partitions using Partition Magic then transfer the space over to my XP partition. This would remove linux, but I was wondering if the bootloader would still come up. Would repairing the MBR fix this? Or is there an easier way to remove linux w/o reformatting?
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline sam

• Administrator
Removing Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 13:35 »
fixing the mbr might, but it might cause other issues with your windows partition... so backup first. What you suggest otherwise should work, but backup backup backup. I personally think that a compelte and utter wipe would be your best option.. as this would stop any mbr oddities.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Removing Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:13 »
:D

Yay! It worked! And no lost data! lol... I'll probly install Ubuntu or Kubuntu when I go back to Uni, but right now it just takes up valuable space on the HD.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline sam

• Administrator
Removing Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:59 »
wicked, glad it worked so easily.. if you ever need linux help - you know where we are!
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum