Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ubuntu Releases...  (Read 5643 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Ubuntu Releases...
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29 »
I had a look at that before, Davy, but looks a little complicated to me and I believe it would require permanent changes to my computer set up.  I'm not yet that ready to commit to an Open Source operating system.  However, if AOL was to support the connection and if it worked with an OS that allowed me to access files I'd created under the Windows environment (I believe Suse does this?) then I would certainly find it difficult to resist.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 10:37 »
oh ubuntu and all debian based systems (possibly more) allow you to mount windows partitions and use the files... though I'm not sure they allow write access though.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 13:49 »
suse does
i have it  on a hard drive now and have been  moving files back  and  forth

ive been  using wine to adapt windows programs to linux i lose some adjustments but they seem to work
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 14:30 »
wine works quite well, now, and things will get better sooner rather than later.. but then again I do find that I can do most of what I want from my linux terminal.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 17:46 »
i run a couple programs that are not linux compatible because they dont have a linux counterpart and are an exe. file so for those i use wine
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 19:06 »
I've just found a guide to installing BT 105 modem (the model used by AOL) drivers for Linux here.  When I pluck up the courage (it won't be for a couple of days yet) I intend to follow these instructions and see if they work.  If they don't, will I have compromised my Win XP settings?  Do the instructions look sensible to those of you who are familiar with Ubuntu?  I intend to use an Ubuntu Live CD for all this.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 19:41 »
you can also try the
U.S Robotics 5686E

Ive used it on ubuntu suse and a couple others it worked with all
and the drivers were there for it

you can find them on ebay for 20 to 30 dollars usa

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5686e
Dave

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 21:58 »
it will not compromise your windows settings..  and they look sensible, not entirely sure though as I have never done that sort of thing
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 14:24 »
you can look here to see if it will be compatible

http://www.xmodem.org/index.html
Dave

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum