Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Opera V7.01  (Read 4367 times)

Adept

Opera V7.01
« on: February 09, 2003, 20:18 »
I've just downloaded the latest Opera browser and I must say, I'm quie impressed with it.

It seems to be a lot faster than IE6 and has a lot more functionality.

You can download it from http://www.opera.com

I'm going to be using Opera for the next few days. I'll let you know how I get on :)

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
Re:Opera V7.01
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 21:11 »
Thanks Sean ... Opera is one browser I haven't tried yet and I will be interested in your findings.
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 22:03 »
First impressions are favourable :)

The first thing I noticed about Opera is how fast it is compared to IE6. I haven't timed it but it appears to load the main forum page on Pals about a second faster than IE6 does. Nt much - but it makes a difference ;D

Opera looks better than IE too and has many downloadable "skins" that you can apply if you get bored with the default one.

Unfortunately the free version of Opera displays a banner advert which takes up part of the toolbar space at the top of the screen. Over time though, you learn to ignore it. You can even do something called "buy" Opera which apparently removes the banner advert. I didn't quite understand what this "buy" thing means though ;)

By default Opera opens new pages in the main window. You can select which page to view by clicking on tabs along the top of the browser window. It is very handy to be able to keep several pages open at the same time and flick between them easily.

Opera seems to do everything that IE6 does and then some. I'll be using it some more over the coming week and I'll post more impressions as I find things out.

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 23:45 »
So far you've sold the free version Sean ... dunno about this "buy" thing ... I like the free idea tho .. adverts .. I can live with ;D
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 15:20 »
Five days in and I'm still using Opera ;)

I have to admit, I'm beginning to like the way Opera does things :)

Apart from an occasional problem displaying flash animations in the correct place (the one at the bottom of this page sometimes displays in the middle for some reason) I have found no problems whatsoever with Opera.

It has useful tools like pop-up and cookie blocking built-in, it's very fast compared to IE6 and I think it looks better too, with its customisable skins.

I would recommend that everyone at least try it  :gofor:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 16:20 »
I would recommend that everyone at least try it [Opera] :gofor:

Is this the same person who recommended, referring to my try out of Mozilla (to which Opera looks remarkably similar), and subsequent reporting of 'incompatabilities', that I 'get a proper browser'?   ;) ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 16:23 »

Is this the same person who recommended, referring to my try out of Mozilla (to which Opera looks remarkably similar), and subsequent reporting of 'incompatabilities', that I 'get a proper browser'?   ;) ;D

That remark still stands Simon ;) At least Opera can render basic HTML properly without breaking it ;D ;D :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 18:18 »
As an experiment, Sean, go to www.dvdsoon.com with IE, then try it with Opera.  If you get the same thing as me, you'll see that the page doesn't 'fit' with Opera.  The right hand side of the page appears at the bottom!  That's the same problem as I had with Moz and Netscrape, so I'd be interested to see how you find it.   ;) :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2003, 19:08 »
No-one likes a smartass Simon :damn: ;)

Yes, you are right Opera doesn't render that page as IE6 does. That doesn't mean that Opera is doing something wrong though ;) Just that whoever coded the website did it with only IE6 in mind.

But I still think Opera beats Nutscrape hands down :butt:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 19:14 »
Is this browser got anything to do with the fact that i cannot see ur picture on ur posts but can see everyone elses......

Adept

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 19:28 »

Is this browser got anything to do with the fact that i cannot see ur picture on ur posts but can see everyone elses......

No camstop, but it's good news for me :)

It means that my other domain is moving over to a new host too ;)

I'd better move my picture to a server that works! 8)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 20:11 »
ur there now..... :o

Adept

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 20:21 »
I know :)

I just moved my photo to another server so that you wouldn't be deprived of my ugly mug ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 22:11 »
Could it be with your res settings Simon,I assume you are still on 800 X 600  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 22:30 »
Well, yes I am Sandra, but Sean had the same effect.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum